TPMS bad sensor - identify which tire - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Technical Forums > General Maintenance & Repair

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 03-07-2007   #1

TPMS bad sensor - identify which tire

I have had a continuous TPMS fault message for the past couple of weeks. The dealer states that it is a faulty sensor. They say they would need to dismount the tires one by one until they find the faulty sensor. They noticed I had relatively new tires and said that it was most likely the fault of the tire store which means it would not be a warranty repair. The store may have damaged a sensor when mounting the new tires. They wouldn't know until they took the tires off. All this seems improbable to me. I replaced the tires 3 1/2 months ago and the TPMS has worked just fine from then up until a couple of weeks ago. It seems likely that if the tire store damaged a sensor it would have shown up on the day of the tire replacement.

Does anyone know if there is a way to identify which tire has the faulty sensor without taking the tires off the rims?

Old 03-07-2007   #2

Yeah look in the MFI.

2002 LR Freelander (Gone)
mech8882 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2007   #3

MFI

Did that prior to post. Vehicle status shows "Tire pressure monitoring system fault" When selecting Inflation Info everything checks out ok.

By the way, I have a 04 V8. It has had several problems including TPMS, stepper motor, dead battery, compass flashing, etc. etc. How is your '07 much better than your '04?
Old 03-08-2007   #4

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Re: MFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LF IL Touareg
By the way, I have a 04 V8. It has had several problems including TPMS, stepper motor, dead battery, compass flashing, etc. etc.
A lot of voltage related issues (and a host of other "problems" that manifest with low voltage) can be the result of a bad alternator cable or a grounding cable to battery issue, which occurred with a number of '04's. Have you had this checked out? Are you still having troubles with low voltage (dead batteries, consumers messages in the MFI, etc) or has this been resolved? If you're still having issues, what does your voltmeter read while idling, and while driving?

Matt

Bye bye Blue...
Vegas Matt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2007   #5
Touareg Enthusiast

I think vagcom might show you which wheel is reporting an error.
Head On! Apply Directly to the forehead!
4xMotionTDI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2007   #6

Thanks Vegas. I had the cable replaced for the second time two days ago. Apparently the first time (approx. a year ago) when they replaced the cable it was with a cable of the same design. There is now a recall with a newly designed cable. That new design was put in this time. Hopefully that will solve the electrical problems. Hooking up a battery charger every few days gets old especially on a high priced SUV.

Still need to find a way to identify which tire has a faulty sensor, assuming their is a faulty sensor. The dealer tech says there is and the only way to find out is start taking tires off. I can't go to him with vagcom without more detail.
Old 03-09-2007   #7

A professional tire store can check the sensors with a scan tool. Schrader, KST, OTC, NAPA all make them. You have to let some air out to activate the sensor, then the tool will check battery life and tire pressure. If it won't activate you found the bad sensor. They should last close to 10 years, but I have seen failures, not many, but a few nationwide.
Old 03-09-2007   #8

Thanks Mike. I knew there had to be a better way. I think it is another failure and not the tire stores fault. They deal with TPMS every day and the system worked for 3 months after they put the tires on. Could hitting a curb or similar cause the sensor problem or more likely just random failure?
Old 03-09-2007   #9

You can damge the sensors with rocks and curbs. I carry a spare stem with me all the time. Damage of that sort would be visible. I broke one putting air in my tire with a lock-on air chuck. I'm more carefull now. Get a good tire store to check for you. A random failure is not out of the question, but very rare. You might try dropping the pressure 10 Lbs. and refilling to to 40 Lbs. and do a relearn. It might wake it up.
Old 03-09-2007   #10

"I DO NOT TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR THIS. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK"

My tech once said that if I ever have a problem with one of my sensors. Run the truck up to 100mph for a few moments. It might take a few runs but it should reset the sensors.

2002 LR Freelander (Gone)
mech8882 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.