Timing Belt - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Technical Forums > General Maintenance & Repair

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 05-23-2007   #1

Timing Belt

Just took the 04 Touareg in for the 80K service, they want to change the timing belt for $1200.00. The car has 83K on it, and I will be keeping the car until 100K and then get a new car. Has anyone been told this? Does anyone have 100K on there car? By the way no complaints of motor problems they just want to do it as prevenitive maintenance.

Old 05-23-2007   #2

The owners manual clearly states the timing belt is to be replaced at 80k.

2006 V6, Campy White, VIN 46xxx, Anthracite w/ Sound 1 and Xenon Headlight Upgrades, Monster Mats, 3M Window Tint, Euro Headlight Switch, Gorilla Gear Cargo Mat, Clear Bra, VW Tow Pkg, VW V8 Style Exhaust Tips, 18' Manhattans & Silver Racks
2013 Audi allroad: Ibis White with Layered Oak Inlays
TREGinginCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2007   #3
The Moderator!

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Trust me on this, do it before it breaks. I had a friend who just lost his on his Passat. It cost him almost double that for he needed head work when it went out. So as they say, pay a little now or a lot later!!

04 Offroad Grey V6, gone, but will never be forgotten.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2007   #4

The timing belt (why the hell do foreign car manufactureres still use belts? They should be chains, they'd last pretty much forever!!) connects the crankshaft to the camshaft(s). If the belt (or chain) breaks, the cams will be out of time with the crank, causing the valves to hit the pistons, breaking them, bruising the pistons, breaking the rocker arms, and pretty much obliterating the entire top half of the engine. The entire engine will need to be torn down, the pistons replaced, and the entire top half replaced (other than the heads themselves). It's pretty labor intensive work (especially on a DOHC engine) and is therefore pretty expensive to repair.

I don't buy $1200 for the timing belt change, though. All they need to do is take the cover off the front of the engine and change the belt and reset the crank timing. Unless the belt is in the back of the engine? Anyone know?

Note to self: sell car before 80k mile service.
VIN: 86k. Purchased 08/17/2004.
AZBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2007   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBob
The timing belt (why the hell do foreign car manufactureres still use belts? They should be chains, they'd last pretty much forever!!)
LOL.... VW's VR6 uses a timing chain.. What your forgetting is a lot of the time it's not the belt/chain that fails on new cars, it's the tensioners
Nefarious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2007   #6
The Moderator!

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
I buy the 1200 if that is what they want charge. My friend just had his replaced on his Passat 1.8T and it cost him 2600 because he needed head work. I say follow the manual and get it done for a little now or pay a lot more later.

04 Offroad Grey V6, gone, but will never be forgotten.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2007   #7

Or buy an R5 or V10 tdi, they have gear driven valvetrain.
cheers
Old 05-25-2007   #8
BANNED

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
I do not know for sure but i believe just about the whole front of the car needs to come off to get to it. I know this is the case with the audi and since this is pretty much the same engine.......
Old 05-25-2007   #9

What's the deal the with the V10 TDI? I thought they need to have the timing belt changed at the same time. I haven't looked at the manual in a while so don't quote me. I had a Jetta TDI 2000 and it needed a timing belt change every 60K. I was a good boy and did that. However on my 120K change, they didn't change the tensioners....cost me a whole new head!!!! I got a fantastic deal with a new head at cost for $1200!!! Not including labor. So, is there something different with the v10 TDI???
Old 05-26-2007   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmark50
What's the deal the with the V10 TDI? I thought they need to have the timing belt changed at the same time. I haven't looked at the manual in a while so don't quote me. I had a Jetta TDI 2000 and it needed a timing belt change every 60K. I was a good boy and did that. However on my 120K change, they didn't change the tensioners....cost me a whole new head!!!! I got a fantastic deal with a new head at cost for $1200!!! Not including labor. So, is there something different with the v10 TDI???
http://www.ricardo.com/download/pdf/..._Benchmark.pdf

Look for V10 tdi and R5 tdi, they are both 'gear driven' valvetrain, no belt, no chain, very robust and low maintenance, but like motorcycle engine with gear driven valvetrains, can get noisy with high mileage (so I'm told).
cheers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.