Club Touareg Forum banner

The alarm will sound at random times when parked.

7K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Tom_B 
#1 ·
Hi Guys.
2008 V6 FSI Touareg SE or Altitude with Kessy.

Symptom:
The alarm will sound at random times when parked. It will start to annoy my neighbours at home and work soon once they figure out it is me.

Info:
The lights don't flash when the alarm is sounding
The RH rear door doesn't lock at all. I suspect this could be related. If car is 'locked' and i open the RH rear door, the alarm is set off. I'll need to check if the light flashes in that situation.
I haven't experimented yet with switching off the various alarm modes on the MFD, or using the switch on the centre pillar.

I'd like to hear from others who have had random alarm triggering.

#2 ·
VCDS scan is the starting point.

My random tooting was a duff alarm horn but without the scan, it's guess work.

#3 ·
Hi Guys.

2008 V6 FSI Touareg SE or Altitude with Kessy.

Symptom:

The alarm will sound at random times when parked. It will start to annoy my neighbours at home and work soon once they figure out it is me.

Info:

The lights don't flash when the alarm is sounding

The RH rear door doesn't lock at all. I suspect this could be related. If car is 'locked' and i open the RH rear door, the alarm is set off. I'll need to check if the light flashes in that situation.

I haven't experimented yet with switching off the various alarm modes on the MFD, or using the switch on the centre pillar.

I'd like to hear from others who have had random alarm triggering.

Mine did that also and I think it was a common issue. They replaced a part which I can't remember the name but has never done it since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#5 ·
Thanks Guys, Keep suggestions coming.

Should the alarm on a 2008 V6 FSI toot the horn or siren? In my case it is a alarm siren. Reason i ask is that i'd like to make sure i don't have an aftermarket alarm.
Does VCDS record the source for all alarm events?
Battery: My battery was brand new when i purchased the car in december 2016. It has done it ever since I've h

#7 ·
And so it happened. I had a knowck on the door (more of a bang bang bang) as my alarm went off at 2am. I now have a baby monitor setup in my garage so i can hear the alarm and can run to switch it off.
Just to clarify, my alarm never sounds as soon as i've locked the car. It is always occurring at least 5 minutes after locking it, but more often a few hours later.

#9 ·
Hi Thanks Mark. With a faulty drivers door lock mechanism, did you get the same symptom? Did your touareg randomly siren in the middle of the night, or when you'd been away from the car for a while? This kind of hints that my rear RH door lock, which i know is faulty, may be the culprit. I'm looking into getting vcds but am in NZ so not quite as easy.

I've also read posts where the 'Comfort System Central control module' has been replaced due to a dud installed by factory into 08,09 touaregs. But the symptom in that case was the alarm going off straight after the doors are locked with the Key fob (that's my understanding anyway)

#10 ·
I'm telling you man it's a simple fix. Goto the dealer. There is a tsb on it. They will order the part and your issues will be gone. Seems like its was a control module and cost $600 or so. Both of mine did it randomly. Middle night, middle of day or just after locking it and setting alarm. It's a very common issue for 08 and 09.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#12 ·
Thanks Guys.

Looks like we have two potential solutions here, door lock mechanism or comfrot system module as per the TSB. Both giving the same symptom of the random alarms etc.

Did either of you notice if your lights flash with the alarm?

When my alarm is properly set off, the indicators flash as well.
When the alarm sirens at random times, interestingly the lights don't flash. Unsure of the significance.

I'll keep this post updated.

#14 ·
Interesting Segment of the VW Electrical Self Study Program:

Central locking in general The central locking of the vehicle is controlled by the convenience system central control unit. The doors and the tailgate are locked. The lock positions of the doors are unlocked, locked and secured or not secured. In the tailgate the lock positions are locked and unlocked. If the vehicle is locked and secured, the LEDs in the driver and front passenger doors will be actuated. Actuation lasts for about 5 seconds and is controlled by the convenience system central control unit. Thereafter it is controlled by the door control units. If the convenience system central control unit should fail, the driver's door control unit will take over in emergency operation mode. A difference in operation cannot be detected.

Operation via radio remote control
The information from the radio remote control is received by the aerial of the entry and start authorisation control unit. The entry and start authorisation control unit passes the information on via the convenience CAN bus to the convenience system central control unit. This is turn actuates the door control units.

It's interesting to see that the Drivers Door Control Unit is effectively a backup for the Convenience System Central Control Unit (aka Comfort .....)

Again, Unsure of the significance but in general the two are very related in their function of applying the central locking. And also likely the alarm.

#15 ·
So a bit of an update. I read on other thread that the alarms for others tending to occur after locking with the remote, but not so much if locking using the door buttons.
So I experimented.

For the last three months I've used the door handle buttons to lock the car. I've had no sirens at all when doing this.

I've tried the remote locking a few times on purpose during this time. Last night I locked using the remote key fob on purpose and the alarm siren came on about 10 minutes after locking the car. This was the first time in months.

locking via door buttons does stop the random alarms from happening. Not once have I had the alarm go when locking vi the door buttons

#16 ·
I had this exact issue on my 2006 Touareg. My neighbors were leaving notes on my car that it had been going off all night and I didn't know it (oops). I ended up sitting in my car for a while after locking it one day to see what was happening and it turned out to be the rear hatch latch needed adjustment. It seems all it would take is the wind to blow and the car would think the trunk was opening. Simple latch adjustment solved the issue

Reactions: Chrome_GT
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.