strong burning oil smell - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Technical Forums > General Maintenance & Repair

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 01-15-2010   #1
Touareg Mechanic

strong burning oil smell

noticed a strong burning oil smell inside cabin and engine. The oil temp reads 200 degrees F and when I pull the oil fill cap a lot of white smoke rushed out. the dipstick would not show anything until I got on even ground but is showing full.

I am assuming that having the white smoke rolling out of the cap when removed is not normal. what is causing this smell?

Its a V10, and no engine light. the only thing related to engine but doubt it is related is that I changed oil brands for the first time in 45k miles, about 5k miles ago (went from ELF/TOTAL 507.00 5w-30 to Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30)

Old 01-15-2010   #2
Touareg Mechanic

... I have read about frozen oil breather valves but it was almost 60 degrees F today and is still above freezing

Old 01-16-2010   #3
Touareg Mechanic

Where I think I am at is that the white smoke and oil burning smell is normal but is normally all vented through the CCV (on a diesel) and the PCV (on a gasser). The CCV vents off condensation produced from an engine that is heating up and cooling off as well as blow by oil (burning oil smell) and internal engine pressure that builds up from engine use. A working CCV sends this normally downstream into the exhaust. When the vent is clogged, longterm, it can lead to water in the oil, and the pressure will need to find another way out- blowing off the oil cover cap (a big mess), coming up through the dipstick (also a mess but unsure if this would occur on the V10 since it I think is rather unique in this regard as it has a valve that closes off this area- hence no oil read on the dipstick even though the sump is full), or finding a way to seep out through a weak spot in an engine gasket and the resultant "blown engine gasket".

I will dig more into this later. I think the CCV can be easily cleaned but I don't know if eventual clogging is inherent and normal or if it is more related to oil brand/type related (49k on Treg with a clogged CCV seems premature to me). Oil overfilling could also cause this but I have changed my own oil from day one and have not overfilled.

If anyone can confirm whether or not I am on the right track with the CCV vent that would be good?
Old 01-16-2010   #4

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
I've just started experiencing this same issue this week...I don't have time to dig into it this week, but your CCV theory sounds correct?
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6
nickm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2010   #5
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Is this a new trend? I'm seeing more CCV related topics popping up around this forum lately
If that's the case, is there some sort of preventive maintenance one can do?
Old 01-18-2010   #6
Touareg Mechanic

I am throwing an "exhaust pressure sensor" code also. I don't know if the venting mechanism is streamlined through the DPF/exhaust system of whether there is a separate CCV on this vehicle prior to the exhaust. I can't find any mention of a CCV or crankcase venting in the Bentley although VW parts has different part numbers (and pricing)for replacement left bank and right bank CCVs on the 06V10

If the solution ends up being like Wineman or .V10TDI, I am just hopeful that my dealer can handle dropping the engine/tranny and dealing with sensor replacements and hopefully get it all back together. I contacted VWoA to get info. on experienced V10 dealers and the best they would/could tell me is that there is a certified V10 tech at my local dealer and to call the service manager to see if they can do it. The service manager told me how they have certified Touareg and Phaeton techs and that they have experience changing the turbos and timing belts on the V10s as well as the other lesser stuff

When I told him that 06V10s don't have timing belts, he said I don't know what I can tell you to give you piece of mind. He doesn't exactly pass along much confidence.

Anyone know a dealer that has successfully dropped and reinstalled a V10 engine/tranny in the Balt.-Wash.-Northern VA area?
Old 01-18-2010   #7

No codes on mine....
Old 01-18-2010   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsTDI View Post
noticed a strong burning oil smell inside cabin and engine. The oil temp reads 200 degrees F and when I pull the oil fill cap a lot of white smoke rushed out. the dipstick would not show anything until I got on even ground but is showing full.

I am assuming that having the white smoke rolling out of the cap when removed is not normal. what is causing this smell?

Its a V10, and no engine light. the only thing related to engine but doubt it is related is that I changed oil brands for the first time in 45k miles, about 5k miles ago (went from ELF/TOTAL 507.00 5w-30 to Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30)
The smell will be coming from the Auxilary coolant heater which burns diesel and sometimes can give off abit of a smell when it fires up and shuts down
Old 01-18-2010   #9

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Are you getting any smoke inside the car and does it do it more when you are giving it a thrashing
Old 01-18-2010   #10

no smoke, and yes its after i kick some ass...not the webasto either, I know that smell.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.