Sea Foam For Engine Oil Flush? - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Technical Forums > General Maintenance & Repair

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 07-18-2011   #1
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Sea Foam For Engine Oil Flush?

I've read on here that quite a few have used Sea Foam in their gas tanks with positive results. What about using this stuff in the engine oil, say a few hours before changing out the oil? Any feedback on this?

Old 07-18-2011   #2
V10
Touareg Mechanic

I can't imagine it would do any harm. I use two bottles in my BMW 750 prior to an oil change and it seems to me to really keep the engine clean. The only 2 cents I can personally provide is put the Sea Foam in when engine is cold - when I put it in prior to an engine oil change I've done so warm and it seems to vaporize as it enters the valve cover and is likely not going to be as effective as when heated up with the engine oil. I add 2 cans due to the large sumps in these vehicles and don't know if that's necessary either...

I also think you could add it a couple of days/weeks prior to oil change as it will remove deposits of varnish better over time than just prior to oil change. Maybe put one in a few days prior when you know you'll be driving for a bit and then another a few hours prior to changing the oil.

Last - I seem to be very chatty today If you change your oil every 5k miles it is unlikely that there would be much varnish with the oil additives now-a-days...

Old 07-18-2011   #3
Senior Trex-Tamer

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: is jealous
This is a very interesting topic, I've never actually even thought of doing such a thing. I have prior experience running it through the vacuum lines on my BMW 323 conv. and of course in the fuel with great results to both. I know that you can add it to the oil but I've only ever done so in our older model motor home and only as more of a stabilizer.

I'm about to do an oil change... might try this myself.
Old 07-18-2011   #4
Touareg Guru

I just went ahead and bought a couple of cans.....

I think the real question here is, if this stuff is not really needed because the engine is clean to begin with(hypothetically clean), will it hurt at all to use it? Perhaps a bad analogy, but kind of like antibiotics on humans. They all have their side effects, but if you need it, you need it, therefore the advantages outweigh the negatives(the risk) on a scale. Now if you just pop anti-biotics "just to be safe" you are then exposing yourself to the side effects all in vain.

I guess this was my dilemma. I'll give it a shot this once, I've yet to read anything negative on the internet on this product. I'll add a full can in the gas tank, and a full can in the engine oil crankcase. I'm due for an oil change this Saturday.
Old 07-19-2011   #5

Touareg: 2005 V8
i posted an article on how to run seafoam through the intake using the vacuum line, a year or two ago, search for it. But it made a significant difference in my case especially having 80k on it.

Never mind, my prior comment as i see your asking about the oil crankcase, i did this as well, it will thin out the oil significantly when you go to drain it. Just make sure you dont drive over 100 miles after pouring it in.
aaks38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011   #6
My God,it's full of stars

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: 2008 V6
I used a couple of cans in the gas tank in the hopes of solving the variable intake motor problem. It didn't and I didn't notice it having any effect (good or bad) on my 08 V8

siberian

siberian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011   #7
Touareg Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaks38 View Post
Never mind, my prior comment as i see your asking about the oil crankcase, i did this as well, it will thin out the oil significantly when you go to drain it. Just make sure you dont drive over 100 miles after pouring it in.
Thanks for that heads up on oil thinning!

V10 do you have any comments on the oil thinning?
Old 07-23-2011   #8
Touareg Guru

Have an observation to report. I added Sea Foam into the crankcase oil late last night, and took her out for a 25 minute low revving highway spin at about 110-120km/h. Came home shut it off, and checked the colour of the oil on the dipstick after I let it sit overnight and starting her up again to drive it into my garage for a DIY oil change. The colour of the oil was quite light and clear, equivalent to No.1 grade Maple Syrup. I'm surprised to see that it is now about 20-30% darker, which in all likely hood indicates, that the Sea Foam removed and suspended carbon and sludge related particles.

I'm now even more curious to see what the oil filter will look like. In the past, it looked fairly clean, after 10000km(6214miles) of use, ditto for the oil. This engine has always indicated to me that it was fairly clean on the inside in the past, hence why I'm surprised at the initial results. Curious what an oil analysis would have indicated with the Sea Foam in there!
Old 07-24-2011   #9
Touareg Enthusiast

Interesting Volkswagendude, I wonder how the oil change oils going to come out consistency wise. Make sure to post back!
Old 07-24-2011   #10
Senior Trex-Tamer

Second Vehicle: is jealous
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkswagendude View Post
Have an observation to report. I added Sea Foam into the crankcase oil late last night, and took her out for a 25 minute low revving highway spin at about 110-120km/h. Came home shut it off, and checked the colour of the oil on the dipstick after I let it sit overnight and starting her up again to drive it into my garage for a DIY oil change. The colour of the oil was quite light and clear, equivalent to No.1 grade Maple Syrup. I'm surprised to see that it is now about 20-30% darker, which in all likely hood indicates, that the Sea Foam removed and suspended carbon and sludge related particles.

I'm now even more curious to see what the oil filter will look like. In the past, it looked fairly clean, after 10000km(6214miles) of use, ditto for the oil. This engine has always indicated to me that it was fairly clean on the inside in the past, hence why I'm surprised at the initial results. Curious what an oil analysis would have indicated with the Sea Foam in there!

Did your garage open back up yet? I'm curious to see your findings as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.