Safety Recall 20Z4 - Fuel Filter Flange - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 11 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Safety Recall 20Z4 - Fuel Filter Flange

Got a letter in the mail today from Volkswagen of America, Inc. telling me of a safety recall.

Recall Description: Cracks may form in the vehicle's gasoline fuel filter flange, allowing fuel to seep out. Leaking fuel, in the presence of an ignition source, could lead to a fire causing injury and/or damage to property.

Precautions You Should Take: If you smell fuel in the vehicle, make an appointment with your authorized Volkswagen dealer to have the vehicle inspected without delay. If diagnosis confirms that your vehicle has the recall issue as described in this letter, we will cover the cost of the repair at no expense to you.

But it doesn't say anything about what to do otherwise, i.e. not smelling gas... Should I really wait to smell gas if there is a potential problem? Has any one else gotten this letter?

I also looked up my VIN on www-dot-vw-dot-com Look Up Recalls link and there were no results! Strange!

2008 V8, Richmond, CA, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: Other
Got mine in the mail to day, too!!

<shrug>

I don't smell any gas. I'll wait for the active recall notice and then take it in to have checked. Interestingly, mine is also a 2008 V8 model, too.

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Garage
I also received a recall letter. Same here with a 2008 V8. I'm about due to change my oil in a couple days so i'll look around but I haven't smelled anything or even heard about this issue. Better safe then sorry I guess so it's good VW is acknowledging the issue! My letter says another one will be sent whenever the repair becomes available.

2008 4.2L FSI, Alaska Grey with Teak interior, Air Suspension, Added rear heated seats, Heated Steering Wheel, RNS510 Retrofit, Rear view camera and parking sensors, Adaptive Cruiser Control with Front Assist Retrofit, Side Assist/Lane Change Retrofit, OEM Tow package, 35% Llumar matching tint, 20" Carrera Wheels, 275/45/20XL tires. VAG Com by Ross-Tech, Yellow Porsche F/R Sway Bars, R50 front valance

post #4 of 11 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I got the letter too for my 08 V8 but the NHSTA site shows no recalls for my VIN and neither does the VW.COM site. You'd figure VW would have it's act together by now.
post #5 of 11 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Touareg: Still looking
What happens if you already repaired the Fuel filter flange like I did in February? I had the work done by my mechanic and not the dealer. Cost me $400. I would assume VW will reimburse?
post #6 of 11 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Touareg Addict

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackieb View Post
What happens if you already repaired the Fuel filter flange like I did in February? I had the work done by my mechanic and not the dealer. Cost me $400. I would assume VW will reimburse?
Same here, mine was fixed,at the VW dealership six months ago. I used my extended warranty but had to pay $100 deductible.

I wonder if they used the upgraded parts or will they have to re-do it?

----------------------------
2008 V8 CAMPANELLA WHITE, KESSY
NAV, 4 ZONE CLIMATE, DYNAUDIO, BI-XENON
LEISTUNG CUSTOM EXHAUST AND CAT BYPASS
MALONE TUNE, CAYENNE GTS SWAY BARS
2008 AUDI A4 S-LINE
2016 GTI 4 DOOR, DSG
post #7 of 11 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2007 V8
Second Vehicle: 2007 V8
Received the 1st of 2 recall letters today (07 V8 FSI) . Is the flange part of the filter or just a seal for fuel pump and filter. Would love to have New filters installed under this recall

07 V8 FSI, Campanella white, steel suspension(wife's)
07 V8 FSI, Campanella white, Air suspension, hitch, keyless start, center & rear diff locks 265/70R17 M+S (mine)
post #8 of 11 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

If you've already had the repair done, hopefully you can be reimbursed.

Ford did that for me on my hybrid coolant pump. I paid out of pocket to replace it and when it was recalled, they reimbursed me for everything except about $20 in shop fees. I thought that was more than fair.

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: 2007 V6
Garage
Going to have to watch the mailbox for my 08 V8, but I somehow think VW doesn't know I own it because they still send me notifications for a car I last owned nearly a decade ago..they are a little behind with me I guess.
post #10 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago

Touareg: 2007 V6
take what they say to you with a grain of salt.... VW told me that it was not an active recall, so I paid $790 to have it fixed !!I contacted the NHTSA's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 and inquire about safety campaign #17V151000 and they told me it IS an active recall and was contacting VW to find out why I was told otherwise.
it can be fine one day and the next you think you are covered with gasoline.... do not mess around with this one seeing how it is under the rear seat where the kids sit....
2007-2010 Volkswagen Touareg recalled for fuel leak, fire risk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode