Retail AdBlue source? - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Technical Forums > General Maintenance & Repair

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 10-03-2013   #1

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Retail AdBlue source?

Is there a retail or internet source for VW AdBlue?

I just purchased a dip stick and oil filter from ID Parts online and I thought I saw small "Other customers also bought" in the corner....but I was in the middle of filling out my info and it was gone when I pushed enter.

I searched the site and then did an internet search for a source but found none.

I just want to avoid if possible the "Stealers" markup on his product. I just want to buy one bottle to use as a "no spill" funnel.

Old 10-03-2013   #2

Second Vehicle: 2012 V6 TDI
Do a search on "pilot/flying J DEF" on google... and you can avoid highway robbery once you are out of your free services to 36 k miles, where they are supposed to refill those devices while doing your oil changes for free every 10k miles.

BTW, I am hearing lots of comments about these new motors in TDI's in 2013 on using motor oil fast. Please, keep and eye on your motor oil level on your infotainment center, and check it every fill up.... you might be surprised how fast the oil goes down. I went through an 1/8th of a liter every 500 miles trailering from L.A. to Yellowstone and back this month, something my 2012 TDI never ever exhibited while doing the exact same trip in June with the CATA motored version. Bumped into a guy in West Yellowstone with 8000 miles on his Exec 2013, and he was one mark shy of needing to add a full liter of motor oil. He wanted to wait until the oil change at 10k miles, but he has a long ways back to Florida from there, past his oil change due date while with wife and kids on vacation up there.

Old 10-03-2013   #3

Second Vehicle: too many to list
Any auto parts story, any truck stop, wally world etc. all carry DEF. Its generic stuff, you can buy it anywhere...
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6
nickm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013   #4

Second Vehicle: Still looking
BTW, I am hearing lots of comments about these new motors in TDI's in 2013 on using motor oil fast. Please, keep and eye on your motor oil level on your infotainment center, and check it every fill up.... you might be surprised how fast the oil goes down.

I do look at the electronic oil level indicator often and have not seen any decline in the oil level. But as you know they don't come with a dipstick...and that's why I orderd one. I don't like these "monitors" that only tell you when it is near to an emergency. I know the AdBlue stuff as DEF in retail is available at most auto parts......But I wanted to get an offical VW juj with the "No Spill" feature that I can use as a funnel
Old 10-03-2013   #5

Second Vehicle: too many to list
The no spill is neat but useless for the most part. The hole is huge, most DEF containers (notably the 2.5gal jugs commonly available) have a long spout that you simply stick in the hole.

I always use a terry cloth towel when refilling (even when I did use the factory jug) to clean up any spillover.

Can't see how it could be sold any cheaper online vs vw dealer...they want 10 bucks for the 1/2 gallon jug, shipping a 1/2 gallon of any liquid will cost at least 10 bucks no matter how short the distance.
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6
nickm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013   #6
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
I thought someone else on here bought a dipstick for their MY12+ and it didn't fit...meaning it was too long.
Old 10-03-2013   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagg View Post
I thought someone else on here bought a dipstick for their MY12+ and it didn't fit...meaning it was too long.
It fits, it just does not measure accurately to scale, something you can cure yourself by doing an oil change, seeing what you put in on the screen monitor, and seeing what the the simultaneous dipstick reading is. Mark /index the physical dipstick accordingly.

Frankly, I am somewhat concerned as how VW has reduced the quantity of oil required considerably from the previous 2009-2012 North American CATA model motor. Capacity has been reduced, I believe, to 6.8 liters. It used to take 8.5 liters per oil change in a CATA motor.
Old 10-03-2013   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm View Post
The no spill is neat but useless for the most part. The hole is huge, most DEF containers (notably the 2.5gal jugs commonly available) have a long spout that you simply stick in the hole.

I always use a terry cloth towel when refilling (even when I did use the factory jug) to clean up any spillover.

Can't see how it could be sold any cheaper online vs vw dealer...they want 10 bucks for the 1/2 gallon jug, shipping a 1/2 gallon of any liquid will cost at least 10 bucks no matter how short the distance.
Best price I have seen is about $2.79 a gallon, in bulk, at the truck stops like Flying J /Pilot.
Old 10-03-2013   #9
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I just got 2.5 (US) gallons from my dealer. It cost $17.50 and they installed it.... though I could have just bought the jug. Checking Canadian Tire and NAPA, the price was closer to $20 for the same quantity.

Its strange that the dealer is sometimes a better deal than a retail store. I'm glad I checked the prices.
Old 10-03-2013   #10
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
If your under warranty I recommend only Adblue from VW and no where else. If you have a warranty claim and cannot prove you used VW Ablue then say good bye to your claim. Generic DEF is a warranty NO NO. I have it in black and white from VW.
I now pay the lowest cost I can find from VW only and hope I don't have to buy a another Adblue part.

92c2targa#119
2010 TDI Campanella White on Anthracite with Sport Package.
92c2targa#119 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.