Replace your own Cabin Air Filter - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Technical Forums > General Maintenance & Repair

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 05-22-2005   #1
Touareg Mechanic

Replace your own Cabin Air Filter

I know someone has probably done a write up by now but I thought it couldnít hurt to do another with some photos for others to see what it looks like.

Buy a new cabin air filter. The cheapest place I found the replacement charcoal filters was http://www.Rockauto.com for $18.86 (price is now $20.69). I ordered two so the shipping was $7.51 to CA. (Bosch "Cabin Filtration Product" part # c3861)

Use a flat head screwdriver to pry off the black plastic panel. It should come off pretty easily. There are four plastic snaps that hold the panel in place. Unsnap the power cord to the small floor light so you can remove the bottom panel completely. (You donít have to do this but I found it was easier to get the old out and new filter in)

Unscrew two 5.5 mm machine head screws. Small plastic panel should fall off easily at this point. Remove filter, replace with new one and you just saved yourself at least $20.

I couldnít believe how dirty mine was after 20k miles. All sorts of stuff fell out of it when I was replacing it. It was full of dog hair of course. I ran the air and it seems to blow harder now that the filter has been replaced. I think I am going to replace it more often from now on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_2189.jpg (108.8 KB, 10810 views)
File Type: jpg img_2192.jpg (60.4 KB, 9510 views)
File Type: jpg img_2183.jpg (75.1 KB, 9297 views)
File Type: jpg img_2185.jpg (100.9 KB, 8598 views)
File Type: jpg img_2187.jpg (107.6 KB, 7527 views)
File Type: jpg img_2190.jpg (102.0 KB, 7522 views)
File Type: jpg airfilters.jpg (141.2 KB, 6622 views)

Old 05-23-2005   #2

Send a message via ICQ to bulahee
awesome right up, thanks Tahoe! I would like to replace mine often as well!

Old 05-23-2005   #3

what does the dealer charge for this?
Old 05-24-2005   #4
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: Still looking
exacly what I was looking for...thanks for posting this. great help...I have the new filter so I will install tonight.

I also have 2 new Air filters but I had a very hard time removing the pasenger side one...it seems there is a hose that needs to be disconnected at the bottom of the plastic housing but I was unable to do this. can someone explain to me how to replace this filter????
Old 05-24-2005   #5
Touareg Mechanic

You mean there are two cabin air filters? I was under the impression that there was just one. Does the 4-zone system have two?
Old 05-24-2005   #6
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: Still looking
No, there is only 1 cabin filter. I was asking about the Air Intake Filters for the motor. there are 2 air intake filters and they are located in the engine bay...the one on the passenger side I have not been able to replace since there is a hose that is connected at the bottom of the plastic air filter housing.
Old 05-20-2008   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe View Post
I know someone has probably done a write up by now but I thought it couldnít hurt to do another with some photos for others to see what it looks like.

Buy a new cabin air filter. The cheapest place I found the replacement charcoal filters was Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto for $18.86 (price is now $20.69). I ordered two so the shipping was $7.51 to CA. (Bosch "Cabin Filtration Product" part # c3861)

Use a flat head screwdriver to pry off the black plastic panel. It should come off pretty easily. There are four plastic snaps that hold the panel in place. Unsnap the power cord to the small floor light so you can remove the bottom panel completely. (You donít have to do this but I found it was easier to get the old out and new filter in)

Unscrew two 5.5 mm machine head screws. Small plastic panel should fall off easily at this point. Remove filter, replace with new one and you just saved yourself at least $20.

I couldnít believe how dirty mine was after 20k miles. All sorts of stuff fell out of it when I was replacing it. It was full of dog hair of course. I ran the air and it seems to blow harder now that the filter has been replaced. I think I am going to replace it more often from now on.
Thanks. Your directions were excellent. Prior to replacing the filter, I suspected something might be wrong with my A/C. However, the old filter was just really clogged. After replacing it, much more air flows through.
Old 05-21-2008   #8
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2007 V8
This has been mentioned in several other threads but bears repeating here, that weird 5.5mm screw head is a perfect fit in your good old SAE 7/32 socket.
Old 05-22-2008   #9

Touareg: 2008 V10 TDI
Baja Rudy,

To gain access to the passenger side air box, you need to loosen the round chrome recirculation pump (just loosen, it will swivel out of the way) so that you can move the offending rubber hose.
Old 03-06-2009   #10

Little Different on '08 or 4 zone

There is one more step. Probably a 4 zone issue vs. '08 (T2) issues, but there is a little piece of duct that you need to pull out of the way to gain access to the filter cover. No big deal, just has some friction clips to hold it in place. Thanks for the right up and pics though. Wouldn't have had the confidence to keep pulling on the cover if I didn't know it would come down. The clips were pretty tight on mine! Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.