Quick fix for E-brake pedals that need help - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Technical Forums > General Maintenance & Repair

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 10-12-2009   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4XMotion View Post
There are many of us out there that are suffering from Droopy parking brake pedal return springs. Which results in us having to help the pedal back the the rest position after we have pulled the handle and waited for the pedal to fully travel as far as it will go.

Well I have noticed that my pedal just needed an 1/8 of an inch more travel to cut the contact of the switch on the park brake pedal.

So I got the idea to close this gap by adding a grommet to the switch to help it break contact.

I intend to replace my parking brake pedal assembly soon but for now the addition of the grommet is working like a charm. Like the title says it is a temporary fix.

You can possibly use those little self adhesive rubber feet that you can get at the hardware store and trim it to the height you need but you will have to remove the panel under the dash to access this area.
Have you made sure that the parking brake cables are completely free??
because if you havent you could be overlooking a totally different problem

Old 10-12-2009   #12

Touareg: 2004 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
That was the first thing I checkeced before I poseted this thread. which is over a year now.

Gone but not forgotten ('04 V6 Silver Blue/Anthracite lux pkg) Inside: Burl/leather steeringwheel, paddle shifters installed, working phone button(bluetooth kit), ipod adapter, covered eurobin and V8 pedals Outside: Painted lowers, V8 tips, valance and lower grille bezel, V10 grille, (Audi Q7 Replica) 10 Double spoke design alloy wheels in 20x9 inch
4XMotion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2009   #13
Touareg Enthusiast

You can't just change the spring(s) ?
Old 10-14-2009   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin13 View Post
You can't just change the spring(s) ?
I was thinking the same thing. I checked ETKA online and don't see a part number for the spring . . . however the pics I saw at the dealership (the parts guy just showed me his ETKA screen) they had a more detailed drawing.

I would be willing to bet that we could find a spring that would fit.
Old 10-14-2009   #15

Touareg: 2006 V6
Does anyone know if extended warranty might cover this repair??
MathiasGYJr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2009   #16

Touareg: 2004 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
UPDATE on Parking Brake Assembly UPDATE

12/05/2009: I replaced my Parking brake Assembly and parking brake release handle.

Abreviations : PBA = Parking Brake Assembly

DS = Damper Strut
  • There were no noticeable differences between the Old and New PBA.
  • We can put to rest the rumor that the replacement. PBA were redesigned.
  • Please if there is any proof of a recall or TSB that relates to the PBA please provide records for our members if they exist or any repair kits that may be available.
The only part of the PBA that looked to be revised was the Damper strut.
  • The shaft of the DS appears to longer than the previous one but not by much
  • The marking on the DS are the same as on the previous one
* Personal feelings: I should not have had to replace and entire assembly at a cost of over $150+ because a replacealbe part like the DS was faulty.

It took me a total of 4 days to consciously stop using my foot to help the PBA to properly release. It is so nice to simply pull the handle and let the pedal deploy to the released position.

Useless Fact: It took me just over 30 mins. to replace the PBA after removing it and reinstalling it twice before.

For anyone attempting to replace yours I am available to offer how to instructions by PM.
Gone but not forgotten ('04 V6 Silver Blue/Anthracite lux pkg) Inside: Burl/leather steeringwheel, paddle shifters installed, working phone button(bluetooth kit), ipod adapter, covered eurobin and V8 pedals Outside: Painted lowers, V8 tips, valance and lower grille bezel, V10 grille, (Audi Q7 Replica) 10 Double spoke design alloy wheels in 20x9 inch
4XMotion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2009   #17

Touareg: 2004 V8
Do you have the measurements and/or the force rating of the damper strut? Mine just started acting up. Usually does it when it is cold outside. Makes sense if the strut is cold and doesn't perform as well. Is this repair not covered by extended warranty? Could you send me instructions on how to remove it? Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.