poor oil circulation on startup - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Technical Forums > General Maintenance & Repair

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 03-18-2005   #1

poor oil circulation on startup

I have a 2004 8 Cyl Egg. When it sits in the garage for several days without being started, I can heat clanking in the valves (I presume) due to poor oil circulation upon startup. I remember years back realizing that ford cars also had poor oil circulation on startup such that it took several seconds for the cam and valves to become lubricated when the engine was first started. I also recall that the older fords were notorious for premature damage to the valves and cam(s) due to poor lubrication on startup. I am worried that my egg is shedding metal particles into my oil and experiencing excessive wear due to poor lubrication on startup. I complained to the dealer. They confirmed the phenomenon. If you start your egg every day, the clanging (clicking) is less because all of the lube (oil) hasn't migrated off the parts in the upper engine. I think it's time for a formal complaint to VW. If we all end up with lower power and smoking engines in 5 years (or 10), we'll be sorry. Any other opinions on this?

Old 03-18-2005   #2
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
I think your anxiety is misplaced. It's difficult to complain about (and harder to litigate) a future possibility based on suspicion. What would you ask VW to provide? a coupon? statistics on engine wear?

I suspect if your dealer noted this on your work order, and - for example, in 5 or 10 years should you suffer an oil-related failure - you could call VW on it and assert that there was some prexisting defect.

I see where VW recently came thru for owners of 1.8t engines where (I think) it was determined that oil sludge/buildup was occurring, so VW (again, I think - I don't own a 1.8t equipped vehicle) extended warranties and made repairs to owners of 1.8t.

Prudent driving with a cold engine and proper oil maintenance are all you CAN worry about. Enjoy the ride while you can.

Old 03-18-2005   #3

agree and disagree

Well, I agree and disagree. Yes, it would be difficult to litigate now, but I do think there is a problem. I have never started a Honda, Acura, Porsche, or even a Chevy (to name a few) that sounded like this. Being an engineer and a chemist, this bothers me. Again though, I agree that 5-10 years may be pushing the statute of limitations, especially since the factory warranty is only 2 years. Still, If others have experienced the phenomenon, then I think complaints to VW should be filed. A calss action rests on well documentation. If the cars last forever, then ..... I guess we were all wrong. The bottom line is that until proven otherwise, I think the lubrication system is ........ questionable.
Old 03-18-2005   #4
RJC

See my post(s) on cold start clatter.

1) "All V6 owners need your feedback"

2) "Update cold start clatter"

2005 V6 Touareg
Reflex Silver/Anthracite
Pkg's 1, 2.
RJC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.