Club Touareg Forum banner

Not proper tire wear

10K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  SuperCar 
#1 ·
The front Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires on my 2015 Touareg Hybrid are coming apart by pieces while the rear tires look brand new. The dealer has found no reason at all in the car's present condition on alignment, balancing and tire pressure for this to ocurr. They have persuaded me to go to the Michelin distributor, but I'm reluctant to do so because nobody have been able to explain me why the front tires and not the ones in the back. The problem is not the normal wear on a front tire ( which is always faster than the rears ). The tires are actually loosing pieces of the thread.
Wll like to hear if somebody has experience this with the same brand of tires. I have always considered Michelin ine of the best.

#2 ·
Got same issue with my front tyres but with Nexen tyres. both the inside and outside edges on both front tyres breaking up ( not cupping ) . No issues with rears. Have slightly increased air pressure to see if any change

#3 ·
Touaregs normally wear their tires pretty evenly.

If you have chunks coming off there is possibly a manufacturing defect (unless you have mistreated the tires!).

And, yes, Michelin are excellent tires for the Touareg both in the Latitude Tour and Cross tread patterns.

#5 ·
why not follow the dealerships suggestion and speak with Michelin?

Have I missed something in this?

#6 ·
We got somewhere close to 50k miles on our set, rotated regularly, wore very evenly. Would have gladly ordered another set but they were unavailable in our size at the time. Something doesn't sound right.

#7 ·
On my last set of Latitude sport I had the same issue, mainly the near side front (LH side here). Alignment ok, no worn bits, pressures to spec. Tyre guys tried to tell me 'roundabouts' and 'too fast' both of which were crap as driving more grandma like than when I had the previous ones. WInged to Michelin area manager and even tough they could not come across any batch issues (other complaints) and The Touareg was not like the BMW X5 that eats tyres (their statement) they gave me a small consideration on my next set of tyres which I've gone to Latitude Sport 3 which seems a slightly better tyre all round and after 8.000 km not showing any signs of problems or excessive wear. John

#8 ·
and the fly in the ointment.......

I am running Pirelli Scorpion ATR. 70,000 klms so far.

#10 ·
I am only getting about 10K miles on a set of tires. The dealer can't figure it out. They kept saying that the alignment was perfect so it must have had defective tires. New set is showing wear after only 150 miles. The problem is only in the front and I am either loosing chunks of the tires or both are wearing on the outside edge only. So far the dealer has covered most of the cost. 2014 Touareg X.

Could this be a bad stepper motor?

#11 ·
A lot of it depends on the tire rubber compound. A softer rubber compound will give you tremendous grip, but wears much faster (tires are labled as "Summer" tires).

Touareg's are notoriously hard on tread life. Personally, I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that factory tire pressures are too low. I run mine at 38/42 F/R instead of the 33/38 that is recommended and it solved my uneven wear issues.

All that said, no way your tires should be shot at 10k. Assuming you don't track/autocross it, the first things I'd look at are rubber compound and tire pressures. After that I'd look at alignment to include camber and caster.

I hope that helps.

#13 ·
Still sounds like alignment - get a good independent tire shop (not the dealer) to measure it. It has been shown over and over that the dealers are not NECESSARILY the source of all knowledge about Touaregs.

#14 ·
^This^. Stop using the dealer.

I put Bridgestone Dueler Alenza H/L Plus tires on. On track to get 50K+ miles out of them. Quiet, even wear. Switched to 255/55-19s. You DO NOT need to use the Porsche spec tires or size. They are too soft. The Alenza’s have an 800 wear rating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#15 ·
The front Michelin Latitude Tour tires on my 2008 V-8 also fell apart 1/4 of the tread width near the sidewall. It looked like something was gouging out flaps of rubber. They were kept at 38 psi (36-39 range), and would get to 40 psi at highway speeds in hot weather. I replaced with Michelin Latitude Sport tires which seem to roll smoother. These summer tires have less tread depth near the edges (and thus look smaller in diameter) but don't have the thin slits like the tread of the Latitude Tours.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.