Maint. Advice - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Maint. Advice

I am looking for any helpful maintenance advise. I have a 2011 Touareg Sport VR6 with 65,000 miles that I just bought. I researched all the previous maintenance records I could prior to buying the vehicle all services were up to date. The Treg was meticulously clean, in really terrific shape for being six years old. I am thinking about draining the transmission fluid and replacing it with Pentosin ATF LV. I do not want to drop the pan and replace the screen. I know VW does not recommend changing fluid on their sealed 8 speed transmissions unless there is a leak. I changed my transmission fluid every 30,000 miles on my Honda's and that has served me well. Any other advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago

Second Vehicle: Other
Just my 2 cents. Def not expert but I also have a 2011 I bought with 37k a few years back. I recently did a major service (oil,plugs,coolant flush etc) and was also on the fence about doing a tranny flush. After I posted here and had time to think about it I decided not to. Main reason for was the fact that transmission still feels great and the treg is at 70k miles. So I figure I will hold off until I feel tranny performing ANY different or at 100k whichever comes first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 Touareg 3.6L Sport
post #3 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Guru

That's perverse reasoning for not doing timely maintenance!

Change the ATF every 60-80K, or sooner if you do a lot of towing, and the diff oils too.

I think the ATF might even be a VW service item at 80K now anyway, and, if not, it should be.

Excellent Wikipedia info on all models:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buying or just bought a T1 or a T2? ESSENTIAL READING:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Useful tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing by typing in site:
color="black"> word word word

post #4 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago

Second Vehicle: Other
Like I said I'm no expert and you'll get different opinions and on here just like I did when I brought up same question. I guess it comes down to personal preference. VW dealer actually advised me NOT to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 Touareg 3.6L Sport
post #5 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Guru

As we have discovered over the years, regrettably a lot of VW dealers worldwide know absolutely jack shite about the Touareg!
post #6 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

It is interesting you say that, because when I ask them about doing a complete service over the phone. The service writer said they hardly do transmission services then quoted me some over the top price of $800.00 I can get the fluid and having drained and refilled at an Indy for under $200.00. At least I will have the peace of mind that 3/4 of the ATF will be new.

What about the battery, I think it is under the driver's seat? In a way it is kind of smart it protects the battery from all that engine heat hot summer sun. From my understanding it is heat over time that cause a battery's performance to deteriorate, you just find out about in cold weather. Does a Touareg require a special VW battery or can I just replace it with an Interstate Brand battery?
post #7 of 20 Old 6 Days Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V6
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
I stay far away from dealers, unless there are parts that I need that can't be purchased from the automotive stores, or can't be repaired by the local independent shops. My wife got recommendation from dealers that are utterly useless, as tactics to scare the crap out of her to get certain oddball jobs done that didn't need to. She always referred things back to me, as she told them to hold on, and placed me on the cell's speaker. Didn't hear anything from them after I responded to their recommendation for the past years.

As nooby said, 60 to 80k miles. Me, since we performed light to moderate towing from time to time, I cranked mind down to 45k miles. If I feel like being lazy, I would bump it to 55k miles, as max, on tranny, differential, and coolant as the trio. ~$300 out the door, but this practice had kept all our towing vehicles in good shape for the past 4 decades.

Cherish your T'reg, and keep her/him nice and maintained. Don't skip out on the pampering, or you'll get one major backlash later down the road. Your T'reg is like high maintenance woman, that will work hard for you. Treat her/him right, and she'll/he'll you right.

- Leo

When life offers you a blessed world to explorer, why stay home and see the adventures through others' eyes.
post #8 of 20 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, this is my first European vehicle and it is a bit of a learning curve understanding this VW. The half German part of my heritage was calling me buy it.
post #9 of 20 Old 6 Days Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V6
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
LOL Bad way to answer. Wife spent 7 years of her life living in Germany, and she said the same thing, "My childhood is calling me to purchase the VWs". Here I sat, with receipts of for components to maintain, repair, and take care of her childhood's calling. Oiiyyy...

- Leo

When life offers you a blessed world to explorer, why stay home and see the adventures through others' eyes.
post #10 of 20 Old 6 Days Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2005 V6
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choo Choo Charley View Post
Thanks for the advice, this is my first European vehicle and it is a bit of a learning curve understanding this VW. The half German part of my heritage was calling me buy it.
The battery is under the drivers seat. Can find on YouTube how to access. The seat essentially can be pivoted like on a hinge to the rear. The hold down bolts are like 12 pts so need proper socket to remove. You can get a multiple pack at pretty much any auto store in US. The ones I have fit into a 1/2 inch socket.

My original Varta battery made by Johnson controls lasted ten years which is probably unusual. You can use interstate, diehard, etc. Nice thing about the location the battery is generally pristine, no corrosion etc. a small hose vents the battery to the underside of the chassis.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode