Club Touareg Forum banner

Lines missing in back-up camera

8K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  hedditch 
#1 ·
I Noticed I no longer have the lines displayed on my back up camera. A scan shows an error "needs calibration"

Has anyone done a calibration and is it necessary to get the lines back?

#2 ·
Perry,

Two thigs can cause this (from my experience),
(1) Controller fault (unlikely)
(2) Tailgate is open or CAN Bus thinks the tail gate is open via a fault somewhere (switches etc).

A calibration error won't stop the display, and can be simply resolved with VCDS and handy work..
Forum member maloosheck posted a method on his Blog...(see link).

- Volkswagen Turbo Diesel -: (Mk5) Kamera cofania / Rear View Camera

Although he apparently wasn't successful in making it work, I have followed his instructions and had success on three occasions.

As for the lines, I would start looking at the door closed switch on the hatch..mind you I would expect a display on the dash.. but ????

Stuart...

#3 ·
Stuart, I just looked back at a scan from last year and the same error was present and I remember it being there for quite a while and the lines have always been present. The rear hatch is indeed closed with no display on dash.

The only other thing I can think of is I recently removed my head unit to plug an iPod adapter into the CD changer port. I wonder if this has anything to do with it?

#5 ·
Perry, The lines are generated by the Camera Controller so I doubt the work done on the Head Unit would be the cause. Can you post your VDCS details for the Camera Controller, and your Radio/Nav.

I haven't heard of the camera controller being impacted by the towing module, but that could also be worth checking. Even though I tow regularly, I can't recall if my lines are displayed with the trailer connected, this could be correct. The CAN Bus system is quite interconnected.

Stuart...

#11 ·
You nailed it! The last time I towed my boat, I forgot to remove the trailer adapter. Now that I removed it, I have the lines back. Thanks for your help guys.

#13 ·
Bonsoir je ma voiture touarg v10 lorsqu ja allumé le contacte
Le ventilateur pour le radiator fonctionne directement
Si vous avez une solution Aidez-moi et merci merci
Good evening my car I Touareg v10 when I turned on the contact
The fan for the radiator works directly
If you have a solution and help me thank you thank you
Any thoughts from the V10 owners?

#12 ·
BTW, my back-up camera has always worked fine and I wonder why it has been throwing an error code for quite a while saying the camera needs to be calibrated? I am taking the Touareg in for its 40k service and warranty repair of striped gears in the rear view mirror and a seat belt sensor. Since it will be at the dealer, would there be any advantage to get the back-up camera calibrated under warranty?

#16 ·
VW should do this under warranty. Calibration aligns the vehicle with the guidance lines so the line provide a true indication of distance. They should do this at no cost to you.

Stuart...

#14 ·
First of all I don't understand the question he asks and second of all, why is it attached to a thread I started about a back-up camera?

#15 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.