Key stuck in ignition - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Technical Forums > General Maintenance & Repair

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 02-08-2009   #1
Touareg Enthusiast

Key stuck in ignition

Ok - I'll start out by saying I don't know what motivated me to do this -- it certainly wasn't good sense.

I attended a local international auto expo & put my key in the ignition of a Touareg that was on display. (Note the battery was disconnected.) Where I really messed up was by turning the switch. In short, the key would not come out of the car after having been turned in the ingnition switch. The dealer rep inidicated this happened frequently (when they move the cars around the lot) & the car had to brought into the shop to be hooked up to equipment that's bolted to the floor of the repair garage. So my friends & I borrowed a car & drove 100+ miles round trip for my spare key.

Is this really the way it works -- is there a mechanical lock that works with the battery disconnected to hold the key of the wrong car "hostage" until dealer service is available as a theft deterrent means for a Touareg?

I can't believe this... I think they just didn't want to reconnect the battery (or use a jumper box) for an idiot (like me) to retrieve their key.. I don't do valet parking and would not be paranoid about it until now... Even worse, I was thinking of adding another VW to the fleet. God forbid I grab the wrong keys & hit the garage when the doors are unlocked.

Is this a commonly known situation or is is urban legend to hold the key hostage like that?

CJG

--------
Previous VEE-DUB's
04 T-reg V8
94 Passat GLX VR6
93 Passat GLX VR6
88 Jetta GLI 16V
87 Jetta GLI 16V
IamCharlieJudd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2009   #2
Touareg Enthusiast

You've got to be kidding, right?
No?
Ok - look next to the key slot itself - right on the plastic bezel - and you'll see a tiny indentation/button. Use the end of a paper clip or similar, push in, and presto - key can be pulled out.
Shame on the display folks for not knowing this.

J

Old 02-08-2009   #3
Touareg Enthusiast

I don't want to come across as unbelieving or inappreciateive for your reponse - but do you know your response to be fact? (My friends and I did enjoy the time together on a lazy Sunday afternoon - but I want to make sure I know what to expect in a less than opportune time.)

I would go out & test now on on my car, but I did notice that the black "surround" for the silver slot that the key is inserted into (2009 model) is a different design than my 2005. I could almost see what you refer to in the lighting there... but couldn't quite make it out. It reminded me of how I open a CD/DVD drive on a pc/laptop. What's in my car reminds me of the keyless "receivers" I recall seeing on on early 90's Benz door handles and trunk access points.

For giggles, I suggested we test the jaws of life from the local emergency response team that was represented by a fire truck at the show. That was not well recieved by the dealer - imagine that!

CJG
--------
Previous VEE-DUB's
04 T-reg V8
94 Passat GLX VR6
93 Passat GLX VR6
88 Jetta GLI 16V
87 Jetta GLI 16V
Old 02-09-2009   #4
Touareg Enthusiast

Pg. 4 of the owner's manual: "Driving your Vehicle", under "Emergency ignition key Release".
Anyone who's been w/in shouting distance of a Cayenne or Touareg at an Auto Show over the past few years (3, IIRC) should know this trick by now.

J
Old 02-09-2009   #5
Touareg Enthusiast

I checked the manual for my 2005. It has the following sections & I couldn't find anything emergency related other than using the valet key...
1 - Service
1.1 - Maintenance
1.2 - Warranty
2 - Safety
2.1 - Safety first
3 - Features and equipment
3.1 - Controls and equipment
3.2 - Driving your vehicle off-road
3.3 - On-star
3.4 - Tips and advice
3.5 - Technical data

Is there a chance you refer to the manual for a different model -- keep in mind it was my 2005 key stuck in a 2009. Also - the manual had been removed from the vehicle on display.

Is there chance you might be able to recap the instructions here or post a scanned copy?

CJG
--------
Previous VEE-DUB's
04 T-reg V8
94 Passat GLX VR6
93 Passat GLX VR6
88 Jetta GLI 16V
87 Jetta GLI 16V
Old 02-09-2009   #6
Touareg Enthusiast

I'll try to post up a copy later, and FWIW, mine's an '09. As far as I know, all L7 platform products (T2 & Cayenne) have been so equipped...

J
Old 02-09-2009   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2vwatatime View Post
You've got to be kidding, right?
No?
Ok - look next to the key slot itself - right on the plastic bezel - and you'll see a tiny indentation/button. Use the end of a paper clip or similar, push in, and presto - key can be pulled out.
Shame on the display folks for not knowing this.

J

Damn, never noticed it (just got my 09 3 weeks ago) but yeah that little pinhole is there, thanks for the heads up but hopefully I'll never need it, I never pull the key out of my pocket.
Old 02-10-2009   #8
Touareg Enthusiast

Sorry, but couldn't scan the book this AM.
FWIW, the T2 owner's manual/s are broken out by number & title (a bit of change from the previous version & other VWs), and the booklet is "Driving your Vehicle".
The para/diagram takes up the bottom 1/3 of the page. There's not much written down - "if key cannot be removed, depress the button shown in the diagram" (I'm paraphrasing - I don't have the book handy).
As I said before, I'm surprised someone at an auto show (or dealership employee) wouldn't know this - "key releases" are SOP for any vehicle with one of the various elect/mechanical switches.

J
Old 02-10-2009   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2vwatatime View Post
Sorry, but couldn't scan the book this AM.
FWIW, the T2 owner's manual/s are broken out by number & title (a bit of change from the previous version & other VWs), and the booklet is "Driving your Vehicle".
The para/diagram takes up the bottom 1/3 of the page. There's not much written down - "if key cannot be removed, depress the button shown in the diagram" (I'm paraphrasing - I don't have the book handy).
As I said before, I'm surprised someone at an auto show (or dealership employee) wouldn't know this - "key releases" are SOP for any vehicle with one of the various elect/mechanical switches.

J
I got you covered...........

Old 02-10-2009   #10
Touareg Enthusiast

That's it! Thanks!
I walked downstairs to scan it this AM, but the kid had used that PC - and the scanner had 2 books, stack of paper @ 1" thick, felt tip markers, and a few CDs piled on it. I'm not even sure it'll work now

J

PS - hope the OP finds that fool & smacks him w/the owners manual!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.