Club Touareg Forum banner

hood open showing on dash

7K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  bigboat42 
#1 ·
I removed and replaced windshield wipers front and back now the hood open fault is on dash, where is the hood sensor any pics Please help
Thanks

#2 ·
This truck is junk, im out of town for TG in a snow belt have spent 1000's on this piece of **** over the last 2 months, i shut the truck off to take dog to groomer when i came back and started the truck the hood open on dash was lit and it was closed, I've traveled to a snow belt and its snowing and no wipers, i disconnected the mirco switch so i could use the wipers , but the fault is still showing on mfi, i have also noticed that warning bells have stopped sounding off and the beep when locking is gone also. This truck totally sucks, any help would be appreciated
Stuck in upper michigan with no wipers
Thanks

#3 ·
Have you removed the radio at all? If so it is not firmly back in the opening. Yes, this will cause the same issue you are experiencing as well. I don't know why VW has a micro switch on the radio related to the hood open switch, but they do. All you have to do is push in the radio at all four corners to see if it gets rid of it. I am betting that is it given you disabled the actual hood micro and still get the error.
Hook that hood switch back up before you mess with the radio.

#5 ·
Hook up the switch under the hood and push the radio in. I am betting it is the radio worked loose enough to have the switch trigger. The switch you disabled is not the only one, reason you still have the error and reason I am thinking the radio. Just try it and see.

#10 ·
Your alarm beep is not there because you have the hood ajar warning, so it is not arming. Try what I said above and get back to us.

#11 ·
Not yet but i tried that before i disconnected the switch, one more thing is the horns were going one on drivers side out passenger side was working ordered new horns but didn't get chance it replace, and now i have no horns and the fuse is blown, friging $50,000 truck and the German genius still can't perfect a ****ing horn

#12 ·
VW doesn't make the horns, they are Hella units I believe. Sounds like you bought someone else's problems. May be time to cut your losses and move on. Two I have had have been decent to me, but sometimes it doesn't work out. No sense being miserable in a car you no longer like. What I said earlier should get your wipers back. Hood ajar message needs to go away and your wipers will work again. Actual hood switch and the one in the radio are all that would normally cause this.

#13 ·
Press that radio in!

As for the horns, a squirt of WD40 or similar up the trumpet, leave 24 hours, then start the car up and lean on the horn button loooooong and haaaaaard.

Quite a few folk have tried this trick and got the horn!

Then have a bout of road rage at least once a week [should be quite easy given how your feel about your Touareg!] and keep those horns working.

#14 ·
Thanks too all for the trouble shooting help i have 3 bmw 745il, one thats a 1989, so i know the German engineering, i like the truck so im not going to cut and run just yet but i tell you what a headache, looks great 65000 miles but the peeling buttons which i have replaced with all new switches and other parts to put interior back to new, exterior is prefect and the reason i bought but the bosch electronics are similar to bmw all the bmws have had cruise control problems, and yes the touareg needed the brake switch fixed
Thanks to all

#16 ·
I found time to remove and replace the horns, the connector on the driver's side was full of water, on that same wire hardness is both the ambient temperature sensor the hood microswitch, and both horns most were full of water, where is the outside water coming from, where are the drains located for the front end of car, the horns work but hood microswitch still shows open and the ambient temperature is still 30 degrees to warm

#19 ·
As Yeti said, “Actual hood switch and the one in the radio are all that would normally cause this”. At least you can now check if the hood switch itself is good or bad. I am guessing that it most likely has normally closed contact, i.e. by making connection between two wires going to the switch you’d simulate hood closing.
P.S. Not sure what WD-40 can do in this situation…

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.