Hood Latch, hood release - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Technical Forums > General Maintenance & Repair

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 08-05-2010   #1

Touareg: 2005 V6
Send a message via MSN to mcpheif
Question Hood Latch, hood release

I finally got my vehicle into Australia. When I received it, it was not without damage. Apparently they either drove into something or backed something into my TREG. I am in the process of trying to get an estimate for repairs, but I nor the body shop in Exmouth can get the hood open. Apparently the cable fell off. I have gone all around the web and this site trying to find a way. The best I could do was from the guy who got the 1.5hr quote, then paid $50 for his friend to do it and it still took nearly that long. The body shop has CUT my grill off, still no luck. Now they are talking about cutting the assembly out, wanted to see if anyone had another method before I took this route on Monday the 9th of Aug.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	38517_1488747652117_1036734751_1411571_6950827_n.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	9794  

Old 08-05-2010   #2
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpheif View Post
I finally got my vehicle into Australia. When I received it, it was not without damage. Apparently they either drove into something or backed something into my TREG. I am in the process of trying to get an estimate for repairs, but I nor the body shop in Exmouth can get the hood open. Apparently the cable fell off. I have gone all around the web and this site trying to find a way. The best I could do was from the guy who got the 1.5hr quote, then paid $50 for his friend to do it and it still took nearly that long. The body shop has CUT my grill off, still no luck. Now they are talking about cutting the assembly out, wanted to see if anyone had another method before I took this route on Monday the 9th of Aug.
That would be me

You basically need someone with some talent and skills. There is no need for any cutting!

My buddy who did do it, did say that once you have done this once or twice, that 1 job easily becomes half The problem with this is that there is no set procedure, as it is all "feel" and basically almost working blindly. Perhaps I will call him up tomorrow, if I remember, I will report back to you on any key things that can help you out.

Again, there is NO NEED TO BUTCHER ANYTHING!!! If that is the case, due to the fact of lack of talent, then bite the bullet, and take it to the VW dealership, and pay them the 1.5 hour by the book job, and let them deal with it.

Old 08-06-2010   #3

Cool

The nearest dealership is in Perth, about a 14-15 hour drive from here. Otherwise I would have just taken it there. This damage due to shipment anyway, so I will not be paying for this. I just didn't want them doing extra damage. The grill is already cut out, I am going to sit in my yard and try to do the rest . Most of my good tools are in storage back in the states, so I am sure this will be entertaining. I will periodically check the site in hopes of a good "how to". I do appreciate the reply though, thank you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2010-09-07 001 (800x450).jpg
Views:	94
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	9796  
Old 08-06-2010   #4

OK...I am pretty sure I have the cable, but I have no idea what this connects to. Any one with a diagram?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2010-09-07 003 (450x800).jpg
Views:	145
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	9797  
Old 10-11-2011   #5

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V8
I'm sure you sorted this out a long time ago. But if anyone needs a description of the process (reconnecting the cable) let me know. I just had to do it myself.
Old 05-01-2012   #6

Second Vehicle: Still looking
What do I need to do

I have the same issue as the above picture. What do have to get to fix the issue? Is is just the handle? My local mechanic said something like the hood release actuator, and it will cost about $75 on top of the $45 I paid today just to have him look at it. So if possible I would like to do it myself, but I want to make sure I order the correct part.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.