Headlamp Housing Broke - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 6 Old 01-09-2017 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2004 V6
Headlamp Housing Broke

Hi there all, new to the forum and am coming here as a last resort for my problem. Hopefully someone can help me figure this out. Today I went to go and replace the High Beams on my 04 Touareg. The front passenger side was fine. Came out real easy, took out the bulb, replaced and put the housing back in the car no problem. Pulled out the housing on the front drivers side. Again, no problem coming out. Took out the bulb, replaced it, even easier this time since I knew what I was doing. Than my problems started happening when I went to go put the housing back in. Pushed it in until it stopped moving, then I went to go turn the locking mechanism to finish it off - no go. It physically does not want to turn anymore. Maybe I have the runners off? Take it out and put it back in multiple times - same result as before. I turn it once very forcibly and hear something pop; doesn't sound like a good one either. Pull it out and see a plastic rod on the bottom I've never seen before. It's hanging off the bottom now and it looks as if the mechanism is supposed to use the rod to push the housing in. I maybe wrong but that's the way it seemed.

So I put the housing back in and say, "screw it", lets just try turning the locking mechanism. Terrible idea. The mechanism broke off. I then drop the mechanism THREE separate times into the car, trying to get it, each time falling deeper into the car, until the point that I don't even know where it's at anymore. Needless to say I was very angry at this point and didn't care whether the piece was there or not - I just wanted the headlamp to work. I shoved the housing in, the tab clicked in and all was well. Turn on the car - front passenger side headlamp works but the front driver headlamp does not work anymore.

The housing is stuck and I don't know how to take it out anymore and get the headlamps to work. Any and all help is very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-09-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Dealer? body shop? local Indy? Are any of these available to you for advice? Are you willing to consult with them?
I cannot even determine which country you are in - Passenger side vs driver side are not definitive and this is a international forum. There are as many posts from right hand drive countries as from left hand drive places.
In addition, there are many posts about the failure of the latching mechanism for these headlamp assemblies. 'Search' is your friend if you use it.

2008 M-B GL 320 CDI (wifes), 2000 Golf GL TDI (sold), 2004 Touareg V10 TDI (acquired 2/2011), 1984 Mitsubishi 4WD Pick Up turbodiesel (beater truck), location - SW Washington St, USA
post #3 of 6 Old 01-09-2017 Thread Starter

Hi Fourdiesel, thanks for replying. I live in Denver and there is a local dealer nearby. Driver side=left side in this case. I have had to replace a tranny and the air suspension in this car in the past and have put lots into this car to keep it running. I'm very hesitant at this point to go to the dealer and fork over even more cash. I will go with your advice though and start using the search engine.

post #4 of 6 Old 01-09-2017 Thread Starter

So I went back out again to find the missing piece. Unlocked the car and the housing still was not lighting up. Found the piece after a few minutes of searching. Turned the car on...AND THE DAMN LIGHTS WORK NOW!!! I don't know how or why, i'm not complaining at all but still....WTF?
post #5 of 6 Old 01-11-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V8
When the light housing is not fully locked, you can get intermittent loss of headlights. Whenever I pull the lights, I always give the contacts on the housing and on the frame a shot of contact cleaner. It's easy to turn the hex head the wrong way and snap things. They turn different directions side to side and decal decays on frame, just like buttons! You probably did it the correct way and the mechanism was just too stiff. I lube all the rods and gears whenever the housing is out.

Eventually you will have to fix the driver side mechanism. I would go junk yard to get the whole mechanism to replace the broken parts. You should be able to carefully push the headlight housing out when you get ready for the repair. Once you get the metal tang pushed down, it should slide right out.

When you see the headlight out warning on the cluster, you should be able to restore lights by pushing the light back in...at least temporarily.
The Following User Says Thank You to johnk For This Useful Post:
Kenrick (01-13-2017)
post #6 of 6 Old 01-11-2017
Touareg Guru

Ziptie the headlight whilst holding it firmly in place so it stays put.

If you replace the headlight bucket, the thing the headlight sits in that you've broken, you will have to remove the front bumper to access fittings.

Excellent Wikipedia info on all models:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buying or just bought a T1 or a T2? ESSENTIAL READING:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Useful tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing by typing in site:
color="black"> word word word

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode