Fuel pumps, how long do they last - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 6 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2005 V8
Fuel pumps, how long do they last

My Treg has reached the 100K mile mark and wondering if fuel pumps should be on the preventative maintenance list? I have searched the forum and did not find a lot of discussion about failing fuel pumps, which is promising but would like to hear from those who had pumps failing and at what age and mileage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V6
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Oooooo...This is going to open a can of worms. Pump lasts a long, long time, but bad practices can get the pump to fail prematurely. I'm not talking bad of the TDI owners, but, I've read too many articles on TDI pumps failed anywhere between 8,000 miles to as high as 152,000 miles. But when I see the HPFP reports comes, tears roll.

NEVER EVER play around with the tank at 1/4 to save some mileages. Hypermilers like to keep their tanks nice and light by driving between 1/2, 1/3, or 1/4 full to practically empty. Bad, bad mistakes. It may save some money now, but the costs in replacing the pump can cost as much, or more, than the car.

Bad fuels...oh, so many pumps failed because of bad fuels. Filters are the tale-tell signs. Always check on the fuel filters. Plenty of articles in preventative maintenance and cares for your selecting your refueling locations and fuel components.

- Leo

When life offers you a blessed world to explorer, why stay home and see the adventures through others' eyes.
post #3 of 6 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Guru

I thought the OP had a V8 but I cannot currently see his Touareg model on my phone so I may be wrong!

Regardless I agree on Tdi owners using good quality fuel and keeping the tank above 1/4 full so unwanted hot fuel returned from the engine can mix and cool.

I know there is a fuel cooler on the return from the engine but has anyone been able to measure the incoming and outgoing fuel temperatures?

post #4 of 6 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2004 V8
Looking at my logs, it lasted 112K miles.

112K miles:
oil and filter change
air filter
fuel filter and pumps
brakes
front and rear wipers
cabin air filter
all hatch and hood struts

PS:Every time i to a maintenance or a repair, i send an email to myself Easy to track
post #5 of 6 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2005 V8
Its a V8. Sounds like I am on the right track, always buy Chevron or Shell premium gas and hardly ever drive below the 40% full mark.
post #6 of 6 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V6
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobytoogy View Post
I know there is a fuel cooler on the return from the engine but has anyone been able to measure the incoming and outgoing fuel temperatures?
VW hasn't release a published document for review, but general documentation in the past indicated returned fuel goes high towards 100F (~38C) and beyond. Full tank assists with cooling and maintaining 110F (~43C) and lower.

- Leo

When life offers you a blessed world to explorer, why stay home and see the adventures through others' eyes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode