Fuel Additives - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Technical Forums > General Maintenance & Repair

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 08-12-2011   #1

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is jealous
Fuel Additives

Should I be thinking about fuel additives for this winter?? This TDI is the first VW diesel I've ever owned. I know that in most of the ambulances I use we have diesel engines and we have to use an additive in the fuel to keep it moving at -45 C. Hopefully someone here has some experience with the 3.0 TDI and can help me out here with some info.

Jonmedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2011   #2
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
You definately want an anti gel additive. I'm sure the dealers in Canada use them all the time. I had a diesel stand by generator that had to have the stuff even with a block heater. JP

Old 08-12-2011   #3
The Moderator!

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
I have put nothing in my tank to two winters I have had my TDI. Winter fuel here already has the additive in it already. I have never experienced any issues what so ever and my TDI has been in some pretty cold temps while up skiing in the moutains.

04 Offroad Grey V6, gone, but will never be forgotten.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2011   #4
Touareg Addict

I've always used Additives in my TDI's. I had one bad experience and that was it, tank freezing solid at -50 degrees years back and getting stranded at the side of the road. I use Optilube XPD winter formula for my 3.0 TDI, and power service for my 1.9 TDI year round. The optilube is good as well because it protects the engine from DRY diesel which can really kill the lifespan of your HPFP(high pressure fuel pump)... So you kill two birds with one stone..

Opti-Lube Advanced Lubricants

there's a link on there for a canadian distributor, but you'll probably have to call.
SamTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2011   #5

Smile Sharing is good.

You see, this is why I love this forum. I posted this this morning as a curiousity type question and already I've gotten all of these responses and recommendations for product to use.OUTSTANDING!!!!!! I was talking with a friend the other day about a similar subject and it applies here as well. You never see two Windoze users who are total strangers sharing tips and talking about their computers but Mac users do it all the time. I've never seen two GMC or Ford users sharing info and tips like we do here either. I'm just sayin'.........
Jonmedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2011   #6
The Moderator!

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
You sure your diesel fuel does not already have the anti gel in it over the winter? I know it does down here and we get less mpg out of the winter fuel then we do our rest of year fuel. I have never added anything to my tank here or had any issues with it. You may want to check with your station this winter to see if there is something already in the fuel. Would suck to spend the money on an additive if you don't need to.

04 Offroad Grey V6, gone, but will never be forgotten.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2011   #7
Touareg Addict

Stations are required to have additives in thier fuel but in canada, you can travel long distances where the amount of additive required would be much more than what is in a particular service station(at a more southerly station), effectively running you into another range of temperatures. The same thing can happen if you tend to drive few km/miles a month and drive into a drastic temperature drop. Plus the addtives that are in the fuel stations varies greatly. I got my Diesel from a flying jay(whom I now boycott), and they insisted their fuel was treated. When my car was towed to the dealer, they showed me I had a tank that was a frozen block of ice. Better to be safe than sorry.
SamTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2011   #8
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
You sure your diesel fuel does not already have the anti gel in it over the winter? I know it does down here and we get less mpg out of the winter fuel then we do our rest of year fuel. I have never added anything to my tank here or had any issues with it. You may want to check with your station this winter to see if there is something already in the fuel. Would suck to spend the money on an additive if you don't need to.
Around here, our fuel is indeed mixed, and like you, we get poorer fuel mileage while it's mixed.

There might be a standard for mixing fuel, but around here, if you ask how cold it's good for, you'll get a LOT of varying answers. The general wisdom, however, seems to point to about -20F for our mixed fuel. The other thing that's impossible to find out, is when stations start mixing around here. It's usually accompanied by a rise in price, but you have to watch it every day to tell when it actually goes up.

Last winter, we made it to -10F a couple of times, and while I was worried about it, the car always started, and we never had any issues, so it's good to at least that around here.

Back in the day (mid 80's), my parents had several of the GM diesels, and gelled one once, and SamTrooper is right, it IS a B...

Black / Saddle Brown
CADman_ks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2011   #9

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Winter diesel does have anti-gel in it from the fuel distributors, but I use power service additive when I'm expecting temps below -20C or when travelling north.

There's only one way to de-gel a diesel and that is to let it sit in a heated garage until the completely waxed up fuel all turns to liquid again....much easier to drop in a $3 bottle of power service when in doubt.

For typical winter temps in the 0 to -10C range, I've never considered using an additive.
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6
nickm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2011   #10
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm View Post
Winter diesel does have anti-gel in it from the fuel distributors, but I use power service additive when I'm expecting temps below -20C or when travelling north.
Does it actually have true anti-gel (like Powerservice), or is it a mixture of #1 and #2, or possibly some kerosene added in there?

There used to be a great "old" service station here that I bought fuel from. It was one of those last of the breed old time station owners, where they still had full service, and washed your windows and checked your oil while filling. I'd often talk to the owner while waiting for my fill-up, and when it got colder, I'd always inquire about when they were getting "winter" fuel delivered, and he'd tell me when the refineries started "mixing".

He always claimed that it was a "mix" of #1 and #2, and that may be the way that it around here, but we don't really have the need to get to super cold capable fuel. So, I just always assumed that it was a mix, and not an additive, but who knows...

Black / Saddle Brown
CADman_ks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.