front doors - driver and passenger side - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Technical Forums > General Maintenance & Repair

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 01-09-2010   #11
The Moderator!

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkswagendude View Post
To the above poster, is this all some kind of magical coincidence!!! You just posted 7 min ago...It just happened to mine as I went outside to grab my wallet from inside! Not only that, to add insult to injury, not only will the door not close, but the latch (with the door open) is in "lock mode" because I accidently pressed the alarm lock button on the key fob. So guess what? My alarm is now activated with the drivers door open If I deactivate the alarm with the fob, that stupid latch stays in the locked mode. I have tried everything to get it to move, and it won't budge...Looks like the T-Reg will have to sleep overnight with its door open! Thank God I was wise enough to install a Tempo(tent) this year in the driveway.

I'll have to figure this out tomorrow, or its no going to work for me on Monday.
Did you try to stick your finger in the latch mechanism to try to unlock it? That should do it I would think.

04 Offroad Grey V6, gone, but will never be forgotten.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2010   #12
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
Did you try to stick your finger in the latch mechanism to try to unlock it? That should do it I would think.
Yes!
I know what you are saying, in fact, this procedure after a lifetime in this miserable climate has actually become quite routine for me You know, door won't close, take finger, manually lock the latch using the finger, then pulling on the outside door handle to unlock the latch, etc...doing this a few times would "free it up" and then the door would close. BUT this time there was a curve ball of sorts. For some odd reason, after I accidently pressed the alarm on the key fob, my door locked itself even though it was still wide open, and now, that latch on the side, will not move NO MATTER WHAT I DO If I pull on the outside handle, pull on the inside handle, unlock using the fob, take a screw driver and try to pry up the latch WITH FORCE, it will_not_ budge! This is surely a new one on me. So that you can picture this, the door won't even come close to shutting FLUSH against the car body, because that latch is all the way up in lock mode! It just won't move no matter what I do...DAMN IT I'M PISSED!

Old 01-09-2010   #13

Touareg: 2005 V8
I actually have an appointment with my dealer (service) tomorrow for the said problem. Anyway, I did try some of the suggestions our good friends from this club posted previously which actually works until now, if you parked your Touareg outside (not in a garage especially not a heated-one) most likely the same problem will occur. I sprayed generously some de-icer (the liquid one, not the ones in a pressurized cans) directly into the latch and manually maneuvered the same using my finger or a screw driver pushing it until the latch is closed just like when you push the door to close by itself. I'm sure this will function quite good in a while not until the temp drops again or when you wash your car again.
Old 01-10-2010   #14
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Just stuck the straw end of the WD-40(God I hate that stuff...but always there when you need it I must admit) into the latch, and surrounding deep cavity recesses and BINGO, we're back in business! Lesson learned.....Don't move the latch to the FULLY lock position with your finger, AND THEN "by mistake", press on the key fob lock button with the door still wide open.

One thing is for sure. Come spring time, I'm going to take those latches apart, fully clean them, and re-lube with that clear gel, brake caliper type, non dust attracting type of lube. That should make it a permanent fix. I did this on my other winter car (Passat) a few years ago, and it never freezes up anymore, even after going through a "touchless" high pressure wash.

The only thing that I can recommend as quick fix for the Touareg, crude as it may sound to some, is to keep with you always, in case you get stuck with this problem in a supermarket parking lot or something, a "BIC" lighter with you handy. If the door won't close, light up the lighter near the latch, warm it up just enough, and it should be slipping and sliding like it was summer again
Old 01-10-2010   #15

Touareg: 2005 V8
volkswagendude, I say your suggestions are really awesome and working. Thanks again.
Old 01-10-2010   #16
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2005 V6
Yup....WD-40 will fix you up. Couple years ago I had my Land Rover passenger door freeze up. I had to fish the seatbelt through the inside door pull and latch it to keep it shut for the ride home. Once home the "Blue and Yellow" came to the rescue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.