Club Touareg Forum banner

fan running when engine off and check engine light on

7K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  prosh 
#1 ·
i was bringing my treg in tomorrow to have stepper motor replaced when i was parking truck and noticed the fan was running very fast while engine off, i started engine shut it off and it stopped but yellow engine light came on steady called my vw dealership , they said my loaner was already there and i brought it in, i think the thermostat went bad or fan relay switch , anyone have a take on this:writers_block:

#4 ·
fan running

i guess if it is the water pump, in not getting it back this week as i know :writers_block:kaboompuke:evil:that its a big friggin job thanks , ill find out tomorrow

#5 ·
i guess if it is the water pump, in not getting it back this week as i know that its a big friggin job thanks , ill find out tomorrow
Really? I did a water pump as well as coolant crossover pipes (running down the engine V) in my Cayenne S in my garage on a Saturday. Just pulled the intakes off, new accessory belt, a gallon or two of coolant, etc. It didn't strike me as a huge job -- if I can do it in half a day, a dealer ought to be able to do it in a couple of hours. I'm not sure how the VW engine compares to the Porsche mill, but a water pump is ultimately still a water pump. I suppose the V10TDI is a bit different, with the gear-drive accessories on the back, but the rest are pretty much like most any other engine. Good luck.

Cheers, John

#7 ·
fan running while engine off

:neutral: its the fan its self that went bad it should be done by tomorrow , the stepper was done yesterday hopefully it addresses the wheel shudder thanks for the replies it good to have a great dealership loaner cars shuttle cars etc great techs

#8 ·
stepper replaced and fan running fixed

:) got treg back today stepper replaced boy what a difference, no more shudder and engine responds much better no more hesitation at 1 st 2 nd gear. fan running was bad fan replaced again openroad vw of brooklyn is great can't say more of their professionalism, and responsto all concerns:clap:

#10 ·
code for fan failure

:cool: sorry i don't know the failure code . when i parked the treg on street and walked infront of it i heard the fan thats behind the radiator running very fast, i got into truck turned on engine shut it off again and the fan stopped but steady yellow engine light came on, local shop found that fan relay was bad and replaced the whole fan and relay i dont know if they are one unit , but its fixed . next week ill get the code for you:clap:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.