ESP Sensor? - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Technical Forums > General Maintenance & Repair

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 02-18-2013   #1
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2005 V8
Second Vehicle: is jealous
ESP Sensor?

My ESP (the triangle with the circle around it) is on all the time now. I don't know if it's because it's cold out side and it's trying to tell me to drive with caution but it won't go off, sometimes after a good hour of driving or so, with a few shut downs/start ups it goes away.

But I also have a Brake Workshop warning sometimes, I got a "ESP Sensor" code when I checked it. Any ideas?

Edit: A bit off topic, but where could I find some chrome wheel caps that cover the lug nuts? I found some on eBay but they're ridiculous, it's around $10 for a cap. I got around 5 for $4 at the dealership but they're a bit far away.

Old 02-18-2013   #2
Touareg Mechanic

And yes, my buttons are sticky (I guess the previous owner spilled something).

Old 02-19-2013   #3
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzi View Post
My ESP (the triangle with the circle around it) is on all the time now. I don't know if it's because it's cold out side and it's trying to tell me to drive with caution but it won't go off, sometimes after a good hour of driving or so, with a few shut downs/start ups it goes away.

But I also have a Brake Workshop warning sometimes, I got a "ESP Sensor" code when I checked it. Any ideas?

Edit: A bit off topic, but where could I find some chrome wheel caps that cover the lug nuts? I found some on eBay but they're ridiculous, it's around $10 for a cap. I got around 5 for $4 at the dealership but they're a bit far away.
What was the code you got??
Old 02-19-2013   #4
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 V6
Second Vehicle: too many to list
i had to replace a steering sensor for my esp, my guess would be how easily can you slide out.
Old 02-19-2013   #5

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: Still looking
If your fault code is something like "esp sensor module g419," then there may be a defective or disconnected sensor module... I just had to replace mine because the esp light was constantly on, along with the hill descent light. With the sensor not working, the vehicle's esp system shut off, so I had no abs or traction control. Realized that in the driveway when we had a bit of snow.

If you have or know someone with a scanner, I would run it to see what fault code shows up, and whether there is a consistent history of that code. Or take it to a dealer to see if they can diagnose the particular (my dealer charges a fee to do this). If it is something different than the "g419" module, then I really wouldn't know what's up. When I was trying to see what the issue was on mine, I saw another of other posts where the same light was caused by a different issue... so it may be something completely different.

These modules are pretty pricey new from VW (600-700+), but you can find them online used for around $150. It is a Bosch sensor module, and I believe it is also used for the Cayenne and the Q7. The module itself is located underneath the center console, which was very difficult for my mechanic to remove (believe you have to take apart the arm rest, etc...). Once you get to it, it just plugs in.

Here is a link to a unit like the one I purchased..

04 05 06 07 VW Touareg Accelerometer ESP YAW Sensor Control 7H0907652 | eBay

I'd definitely run the scans first to try to nail down the issue.. good luck!
Old 02-19-2013   #6
Touareg Mechanic

I erased the code, is it normal for it to come on in the cold? It was a bit warmer today and it didn't come on.
Old 02-19-2013   #7

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: Still looking
I did not notice that, but perhaps different things can cause the same symptom. Did you get the "g419" error?
Old 02-21-2013   #8
Touareg Mechanic

I can't recall. I remember "EPS Sensor ______". Is there a trick to cleaning the sticky buttons? I don't want to pour rubbing alcohol over it or anything if it's not safe.
Old 02-21-2013   #9
Touareg Guru

Try electrical contact cleaner.
Old 02-21-2013   #10
Touareg Mechanic

^ Thank you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.