Driving on ice & snow. How is Touareg doing? - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Technical Forums > General Maintenance & Repair

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 11-30-2004   #1

Driving on ice & snow. How is Touareg doing?

I am concidering buying either Touareg, Cayenne or X5. As I am living in Norway, one of the key factors when choosing, will be the ability to drive on ice and snow.
Have been searching the net for videoclips demonstrating this. Found some videos of Touareg and X5 driving on snow, but that did not impress me much. Can practically do the same thing with the front-wheel driven Chrysler Voyager I am driving now. Driving on snow is not difficult.
Driving on wet & slippery snow or ice is a little worse. Driving uphill mountain-road on ice-roads is even worse.
The average climb up to my mountain-cottage is 10%. Touareg does 45%, but perhaps not on ice? So I am talking narrow, curvy roads with a 10% average climb on ice and snow. My Chrysler has allways done the job without chains, but sometimes with some difficulty. Putting on chains, there are no difficulties, but I am too lazy to do that. Last winter the road was pure slippery ice, and the only car that climbed up the mountain-road without chains, was a Range Rover. That was when I started thinking 4X4.

What are your exeperiences driving on ice and snow with the Touareg?
Anyone knowing any videoclips or photo's showing demanding ice & snow-conditions?
Thankful for your input & feedback on this particular part of off-road/on-road driving.

Old 11-30-2004   #2

Send a message via MSN to 4x4s
I drove my Touareg all last winter in the New England ice and snow. It was outstanding. Probably nothing that you would consider extreme, however my driveway is very steep and the Touareg would climb it easily when my Passat and New Beetle would not.

I would recommend the Touareg.

Old 11-30-2004   #3
Touareg Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Bigscout79
I am not a fan of the stock continental tires, but I have to say I don't think you'll be unhappy with the manners in the snow or ice. If you were to put on a slightly more aggressive a/t tire you would have an unstoppable vehicle. I'm so onboard with this whole ESP system I seriously ought to be getting some kickback - bar none the best system for slippery driving I've ever seen. I've read some articles on it since last Wednesday when I had a chance to actually use it - Mercedes is using it on their high end stuff, and some others are too - I won't buy a car without it from now on - my dealer didn't seem to know much about it beyond the literature, but let me tell you - its simply amazing you can't make the car misbehave when its on - its brilliant seriously.

2004 V8
1980 IH Scout II
Bigscout79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2004   #4
Touareg Mechanic

I would look much more into tires than cars. Buy a good pair of snow tires that are studded if you want the best traction on ice. Aside from a good pair of studded snow tires I can't stress enough how many times a simple snow shovel and bag of sand has saved me in winter driving. Get a good one and leave it in your trunk all winter.

I have a cabin on a mountain lake in California with a very very steep driveway. We usually park at the top and walk down in the winter. But a few times we have driven down in my (old car) Jeep Grand Cherokee with BF Goodrich All terrains and a foot or two of snow on the driveway. The Jeep makes it up some very steep inclines as long as there is some snow to provide traction. Once the driveway has been plowed and a small layer of ice is left, there is no chance driving up. We usually have to winch it out with my neighbors Durango. I have tried all sorts of things, but ice on a steep incline makes it super difficult for almost any car.

I would recommend the Touareg with a good set of snow tires. By the way, the Cayenne is pretty bad in the snow with the stock tires. I drove over Donner Summit with it last weekend during a storm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 118car2_483.jpg (52.2 KB, 3545 views)
File Type: jpg 118car23_194.jpg (61.0 KB, 3484 views)
Old 12-01-2004   #5

Very interesting to see those photoes of the Cayenne. Those snow-conditions I would concider peanuts and not difficult at all. I think it must have been the drivers fault, doing some serious mistakes.

Yes, tires are of course important. I have the best on my present front-wheel-driven Chrysler Voyager, and they have helped me up the icey mountain road. But tires alone does not do it. In my imagination the Touaregs ability to shift power to the wheel(s) that has the best grip would help tremendously when the conditions are extra difficult.

Thinking back to last winther when all the cars kept spinning except for the 4x4 Range Rover that just drove up the road without any difficulties, I imagine a Touareg also would have made it. That is what I am looking for, if anyone here has experienced this with a Touareg.
Old 12-01-2004   #6

I have a V8 Treg with Nitto Terra Grapplers on it and it seems to do very well in snow and pretty decent in ice. The only problem I've experienced with winter driving was the windshield wiper spray valve freezing in really cold temps 0-20 F. Otherwise pretty solid in snow.
Old 12-01-2004   #7

Send a message via AIM to stevencldr
Hi, this is my first post. I picked up my new Touareg last night. Got a white V6 with NAV, air suspension, and some other goodies. Its a fantastic automobile.

Cayenne's aren't bad in snow, in fact they are awsome...if equiped with the right tires. This past weekend i went up to Tahoe with my Dad in his Cayenne, and on our way home we got caught in that nasty storm. The Cayenne just kept slippin and sliding all over the place. We had to drive at 20MPH while eveyone else was driving at about 45mph. Turns out, Porsche dont equip Cayenne's with snow tires unless you special order them. The SUV is "high performance automobile that generally requires high performance tires", or so the dealer said after my dad complained to him.

I mean, if you look at the cars development videos or read any off road tests, the car performs better than any stock SUV except a Hummer H1. Supposedly its even better than the Range Rover. My father was a victim of a misleading salesman (and apparantly himself, as he didnt check that there was an M+S symbol on the tires which did have large "4X4" lettering), and i believe so are a lot of Cayenne owners.

By the way, i love the Treg. Its just a slower and more comfortable Cayenne in my oppinion. And definately the greatest value-for-money SUV on the market.

-Stevencldr
Old 12-02-2004   #8

I have three word to describe the TOUAREG in snow and on ice ---

I LOVE IT!!!!

2006 V6, Campy White, VIN 46xxx, Anthracite w/ Sound 1 and Xenon Headlight Upgrades, Monster Mats, 3M Window Tint, Euro Headlight Switch, Gorilla Gear Cargo Mat, Clear Bra, VW Tow Pkg, VW V8 Style Exhaust Tips, 18' Manhattans & Silver Racks
2013 Audi allroad: Ibis White with Layered Oak Inlays
TREGinginCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2004   #9
Still Plays With Cars

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2006 V10 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainLord
I have a V8 Treg with Nitto Terra Grapplers on it and it seems to do very well in snow and pretty decent in ice. The only problem I've experienced with winter driving was the windshield wiper spray valve freezing in really cold temps 0-20 F. Otherwise pretty solid in snow.
I have never had the washer jet freeze up for the hood nozzles. They are heated. Pop the hood and make sure they are plugged in. Now the headlight washers freeze up on me all of the time.

As for my snow experiences, I have to say I love mine with adequate snow tires. The Bridgestone Dueler REVOs that I have on a great in snow, not bad on ice and grip like a mother when accellerating. Stopping? That's a different story. I would like it to stop better, but I have two big thing against me: weight of the vehicle, width of the tire. I am still considering moving to a studded snow for this exact reason.

// 06 V10 TDI, Reflex Silver/Teak--Loaded

// 06 V8, Campy White/Teak--Air--DVD NAV--Backup Cam--Kessy--Winter--Xenon--RDL--Factory Hitch--Dakar Offroad Front Skid Plate
// 08 27' Airstream International CCD :: Airforums.com Member - "Westfalia"
// 77 VW Transporter Westfalia P21 Weekender, 2.0L Fuel Injection, Pastel Weiß/Orange Plaid--STOCK

-\ CLUB TOUAREG ADMINISTRATOR -\
Please read our Club Touareg Community Rules and our Terms of Service

Club Touareg Vendors, Commercial Posts and Rules
aircooled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2004   #10

Send a message via MSN to 4x4s
Great picture, as usual, Aircooled.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.