Drive Shaft Bearing - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Technical Forums > General Maintenance & Repair

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 09-11-2009   #1

Drive Shaft Bearing

One will definitely know when the DSB is bad. The symptoms are the loud intermittent squeeling, problems with shifting and vibrations at the center console. I had mine replaced this week for a grand total of $1334, I requested the dealership to give me the old drive shaft and they obliged. First of all you cannot order just the bearing you have to replace the whole entire shaft. Other vehicles use the same bearing, it is a pressed on bearing, to get it off you would have to cut the drive shaft, and have it re welded back on with a lathe, this is a costly procedure.
You can also buy one from Racks and Axles out of Indianapolis, IN. for $600 plus $100 core + s/h. The dealerships are charging around $1100 plus labor.
Our dealership told us that if we had found the shaft, they would install it for us, a little too late for us unfortunately, but hopefully someone reads this and does their homework before shelling out 1400 bucks!
****WARNING**** the drive shaft must be properly aligned or the problem will re occur quickly...

Old 09-11-2009   #2
Administrator

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Drive shaft bearing problems are not new. The info about the company in IN has also been posted here before.

Old 09-14-2009   #3

Touareg: 2004 R5 TDI
While replacing your driveshaft flex disc, you may find that you have to disassemble the rear part of the driveshaft. The problems in Drive shaft bearing are not new, these are possible at that situation.
Old 09-14-2009   #4

Touareg: 2007 V10 TDI
I recently purchased a '07 V-10, and in joining this forum I have noticed the frequency of the drive shaft bearing failure posts. Mine only has 20K, so no problem with this yet.........

My question is this: is it possible to lubricate this bearing (before problems arise) in order to prolong its life? Could it be done as a maintenance issue -- like oil changes?

Just a thought, but since I haven't had to deal with it yet, I have no idea if it is possible/practical.
Old 09-18-2009   #5
Touareg Guru

No you can't service this but it fails around 60-70K mark and there are companies that can fit a new bearing for half the price of a new VW prop or drive shaft.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.