Club Touareg Forum banner

Check engine light on, intermittently

11K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Livefreeandrive 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 V6 and the check engine light has been on for a day then off for a day. Its not blinking and according to the owner's manual its likely an O2 sensor. We did the gas cap check (still had the light on) and had the dealer check out the O2 sensor and it was fine. Supposedly the vacuum hose was loose but they fixed that and the check engine light did not come back on....until about an hour after we left the dealer. (they had the car two days and did about 50 mile road test - the light did not come back on).

Any suggestions on what could be causing the check engine light to come on for short periods of time then turn off?

#2 ·
Any problem starting it [the engine turns over more than normal but does start] after it has been driven and then left for about an hour?

Did the dealer run a VAGcom check for error codes?

#3 ·
No problem starting and runs otherwise normal - no unusual noises, all gauges indicate normal operation.

The dealer did run a VAG com check everything was within speck. Unfortunately I don't know what the error code was.

Is there a way for me to check the code without bringing it into the dealer?

#4 ·
Only if you have access to VAGcom or similar fault reader.

When my light came on it turned out to be a duff coolant temperature sensor which caused the starter to turn the engine a few more times than normal when the car was partially warm.

#5 ·
Thanks for your reply! It starts with no trouble - cold or warm. I'm beginning to wonder if its a faulty sensor (O2 maybe?). We had a problem with the TPM a few years ago and one other sensor sending a false problem. Needless to say our faith in the sensing system is a bit shaken.

#6 ·
Bring it to a local Pepboys (one by Keeler) or Advanced Auto Parts (on Clinton). They have a generic OBD II scanner that can read faults. I think you can even request for a print-out. Then you can go online to search/research the code.

There is an ECU Flash/update from VW for our model trucks that decreases the O² sensitivity. It is an sissue with V6s...Ask the dealership.

Good Luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.