Club Touareg Forum banner

Brand New Drive shaft. Still slight vibration at 60ish

4K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  DIESELSAMMY 
#1 ·
So boys and girls how is everyone. Happy Thanksgiving! So I had a Driveshaft/Propshaft put in March of this year. Aftermarket. Junk already! I bit the bullet and installed a Genuine VW Propshaft Assembly with Center Support Bearing today by Autobarn VW in Mt. Prospect IL. Drives great I tell ya! I will never do another aftermarket Drive shaft. However. There is a slight vibration especially at 60ish. Tires have 5000 miles. Rotated today for first time. Re balanced at Discount Tire. Hunter machine. All fluids are recent withing last 6-7000 miles. Rear and Front Diff. and Transfer Case. As well as Transmission at 85,000 miles. I currently have 95,000 miles. Treg runs perfect other than slight vibration. Mechanic admitted no shimming the driveshaft. He actually said I don't know what your talking about. I have seen where some of you guys have had good luck with this. 2008 V8 with Air. Please help! Have a great holiday!

#2 ·
Wonder if Discount tightened lugs progressively (to say 50 then spec) by hand in star pattern? It seems with power tools and a younger generation this might be lost knowledge (having witnessed some shops). The Treg is more sensitive than most know to proper wheel install. Also double check their tire pressures, I have gotten mine back with 30 psi before. Speed seems too high to be drive line related.

#5 ·
Bently manual specs for 2004 to 2008 4.2 V8 (BAR) Wheel bolt to hub 180Nm

#7 ·
Just put on our winter wheels and tires on at home then took it over to my buddies shop to use his torque wrench, he told me 120 lb ft so that's what I did. I hand tightened them before going to the shop and thought they were cranked on pretty good. Took between 1/16 to 1/8 turn to torque to 120. Maybe I'll go back and crank em up to spec now that I looked it up

#8 ·
I suppose that is a good idea. You know I guess you are technically suppose to re-torque lugs after driving anyways if I recall reading that someplace. Worked on cars as a hobby all my life and never had an issue. I have borrowed a car from a "good" friend (actually a long time car hobby friend) and found only one lug in each wheel (banging noise and hobbling around corners / violent shaking). He claims he wasn't trying to kill me and that he just forgot the other nuts...roll of the eyes

#9 ·
Not all brand new shafts are balanced.

Take the shaft off and have it balanced.

#15 ·
I tracked down an earlier post from coloneltom. He said that he had it for ever. As did others. Usually at like 50-60. Sound familiar. They are supposed to alogn the shafts properly. There is a method to this as well. ...................................http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f...rier-bearing-60770.html..................This is making snese i am going to try tomorrow. I am not sure why this isn't talked about more. Hope this is it. I have only put 60 miles on Treg so far after new shaft. I will aslo check lugs. Thanks everyone!

#10 ·
agreed !!!!

#11 ·
I think the 133 ft lbs has crept in more recently due to the issues with T3 SWS which resulted in a TSB from VW to fix that problem.

#12 ·
really 133ft lbs .... must try that in 1000kms when i am due for my next wheel rotation.

I always did 120 but in increments .... 80.. 100.. finally 120 and in a star pattern by hand

Reactions: DIESELSAMMY
#13 ·
No! I am not suggesting anyone other than T3 folk use 133!!

I have never torqued a wheel bolt in my life. I just use a 2 ft bar and do them up firmly not not stupidly tight!

#14 ·
oki doki !!!! .... 2ft bar it is

#16 ·
Vw has a tech tip for mounting the wheel on the hub correctly, also all touareg tires are recommended to be forced matched via road force balancing and not traditional balancing.

The tech tip states to have one of the 3 fingers of the hub flange to be dead center at the 12 o'clock when mounting the wheels, vibration at freeway speeds is one of the symptoms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

#19 ·
Regarding the mounting: I have never followed the entire directions of the above. I have also not had shaking, so me thinks this is for later years?

I think the most important part is the disciplined process of hand tightening all lugs to seat wheel and gradually tightening lugs in a star pattern to say 60 then 120 (or 133). VW uses bolts (as we all know) and I personally think that with power tool mounting the rear wheels specifically would be prone to balance issues due to having a lip on the center axel that the wheel sits on. If not properly seated prior to torqueing it could warp the the disk, wheel, or other components. This would result in speed related shaking.

Wanted to ask also if flex disk was replaced? Some have said this improves ride post center carrier bushing failure. I believe VW replaces this too at dealer when fix is performed there.

#21 ·
Ok. So I went out yesterday in the garage and loosened the 2 bolts. The Shaft raise up a little. 1/16th of an inch or so. I went back and forth then re-tightened. Took it for drive. However it was raining a little. But I still felt the shake at same speeds. Came back and did it again with car in Neutral, "No Bind maybe or Load on Carrier Bearing" So re-tightened slowly while holding shaft because it wants to move when you are tightening it down. Took it for another drive and it was better actually in the same conditions as stated previously. So I called today and spoke to service manager at Dealer who installed this. He said Yes, there is a definite procedure installing these but would have to get back to me with specifics. I mentioned the pulling forward and backwards and he said that sounds correct but will have to look it up. He said to drive it another couple days to see if it goes away. Call him on Monday and we will figure it out. I then called Suburban Driveline in Addison IL. This guys has worked on my 4wd trucks for my business for years. He is smart! He is Like Colorado or Indianapolis Driveshaft co's. He has built quite a few of these for the Tregs. Cayenne's Q7 etc. Poor designed he said. He also said that a realign and shims could definitely help! He admitted the shims were a good idea. He also said what Coloneltom said. Why night a beefier bearing. He said I can retrofit that for you no problem Sam! So if the dealer is a dead end I will go to him and have the alignment done and a shim. One more thing. He said that new driveshafts are balanced from factory. He has installed those for good clients. Please know he is everything suspension. Everything! No motor stuff. So in some case he runs into installing OEM in lieu of rebuild.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.