Blackstone report has me concerned - Club Touareg Forums
 3Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 04-18-2017 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2007 V8
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Blackstone report has me concerned

So I received this back from Blackstone and well, not really sure where to start. My wife drives the car every day so it doesn't just sit there but we use my Audi for more mileage weekly.

2007 BAR-engined T1 with 70k-ish miles on it.

Where would you guys start?

Thanks for any color.

- Dave

- Dave

2007 Touareg V8
2003 Audi S6
2001 911 turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 04-18-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V6
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspock View Post
So I received this back from Blackstone and well, not really sure where to start. My wife drives the car every day so it doesn't just sit there but we use my Audi for more mileage weekly.

2007 BAR-engined T1 with 70k-ish miles on it.

Where would you guys start?

Thanks for any color.

- Dave

Wow. This got me quite concern as well, since my wife drives 98% of the time (aside from our long holiday trips), while I drive the 2% to observe, diagnose, and repair. Haven't sent my oil to the lab in a few years since the last came back as normal.

I'm curious on what the true mechanics will say on this matter.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

- Leo

When life offers you a blessed world to explorer, why stay home and see the adventures through others' eyes.
post #3 of 34 Old 04-19-2017
Touareg Guru

You say your wife drives car every day but you don't say what journeys, distances, types of roads, speeds, traffic, etc..

post #4 of 34 Old 04-19-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: 2007 V6
Garage
Huh, doesn't look good...but...

Mobile 1? I see it has 0W40 listed on the sheet. Pretty thin oil at cold start up, my 07 Touareg VR6 rattles with that oil and I changed to 5W40 to make it stop. But probably nothing to do with what is seen here.

Might want to send a sample at 3K (suck some out) and send for a review. My opinion initially is one sample doesn't show a trend, I would want another analysis before drawing a conclusion.

I also wonder about contamination during collecting (as in what the oil came in contact with during draining and sample selection.)

Magnesium is really low too, Blackstone didn't say why. I am assuming the "sample" are other 4.2 FSI Tregs so there should be some congruence?

Do you use any fuel additives containing ferrocene (organometalic compount not a brand)? Ferrocene is used in some fuel additives as an anti knock compound that is similar in place to lead (good old leaded fuel) that contains iron. However, a fuel additive (some of which are added for you at say Chevron) may contain this additive which can (I think) make its way into your oil causing increased iron content.
post #5 of 34 Old 04-19-2017 Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses guys....tried to preoccupy myself with my other car last night so I wouldn't stew about this. Didn't work.

@nooby: Good point. It's a commuter car for all intents and purposes. She drives about 2.5 miles to drop off our daughter and head to the train station. It's residential, no faster than 40 mph and takes about 20 minutes end to end. Typical morning stop and go through town. No highway driving.

@spiegel: I'd tend to agree about one sample not making a trend and will send in another perhaps sooner than anticipated to see if the levels change in one direction or another. Having said that, I've recently (within the last month) sent two other samples for our other cars and this is by far the most dire in how it's presented. Namely, it's not just "copper" representing a potential issue with the bearings but it touches on several different, disparate bases.

To answer your other questions, I do not use any fuel additives and the oil left the pan and went right into the test kit bottle....as in I stuck it under the gusher mid-stream to collect it so it never touched anything else. Blackstone also suggests taking a sample from the middle of the drain so as not to skew based on junk sitting on the top or the bottom of the oil in the pan. I followed this protocol also. (Wasn't nearly as messy as I thought it'd be, honestly.)
post #6 of 34 Old 04-19-2017 Thread Starter

Also, this was the first oil change I've done myself. I use Castrol but not sure what the dealership had put in it. In fact, I'd need to look at the invoice to see what grade they'd put in. I had listed the 0w/40 because that's what I put in it.

I wonder if I still have the old oil filter on my bench.

- Dave

2007 Touareg V8
2003 Audi S6
2001 911 turbo
post #7 of 34 Old 04-20-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
The engine isn't getting up to proper operating temps with the kind of driving your wife is doing.

Report says 6600 miles... how long did it take to rack up those miles?

Regardless of everything, do more sampling and change the oil more frequently. Perhaps every 6 months? Cheap insurance if you ask me.
post #8 of 34 Old 04-20-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Sounds like you need to take another sample. Let the oil runout for a few then stick simple bottle in. You may have picked up the metal at the bottom of the pan.

Change the oil, get rid of the castrol 0W-40.

I would try running Pentosin High performance 5W-40, or LUBRO-MOLY 5W-40, or AGIP(ENI) eni i-Sint MS 5W-40. Repsol Elite Evolution, All 505/502 oils.

I can send you some if needed. I also have access to Titan Fuchs GT1-C3 (which I use in my TDI) 5W-30 but I have other grades Fuchs TITAN Supersyn PLUS 5W-40, Total and others Otherwise use Mobil 1 off the shelf 5W-30 (not VW approved)

or SHELL HELIX ULTRA 5W-30 (Specifications: API SL/CF; ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4; BMW LL-01; MB approval 229.5, 226.5; VW 502.00/505.00; Renault RN0700, RN0710. Meets the requirements of API SN/CF)

I'd change the oil ASAP, use MAHLE Filter and run it again. Take another test sample. Oil should be warm, take sample from middle of oil drain, not beginning.

Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- 10' TDI
post #9 of 34 Old 04-20-2017
Touareg Guru

These are the worst kind of journeys for your car as they cause the greatest wear because it is just not getting hot enough to warm everything through properly.

This is exactly the kind of trip that's best made in a plug-in electric car!
post #10 of 34 Old 04-20-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfissimo View Post
Sounds like you need to take another sample. Let the oil runout for a few then stick simple bottle in. You may have picked up the metal at the bottom of the pan.

Change the oil, get rid of the castrol 0W-40.

I would try running Pentosin High performance 5W-40, or LUBRO-MOLY 5W-40, or AGIP(ENI) eni i-Sint MS 5W-40. Repsol Elite Evolution, All 505/502 oils.

I can send you some if needed. I also have access to Titan Fuchs GT1-C3 (which I use in my TDI) 5W-30 but I have other grades Fuchs TITAN Supersyn PLUS 5W-40, Total and others Otherwise use Mobil 1 off the shelf 5W-30 (not VW approved)

or SHELL HELIX ULTRA 5W-30 (Specifications: API SL/CF; ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4; BMW LL-01; MB approval 229.5, 226.5; VW 502.00/505.00; Renault RN0700, RN0710. Meets the requirements of API SN/CF)

I'd change the oil ASAP, use MAHLE Filter and run it again. Take another test sample. Oil should be warm, take sample from middle of oil drain, not beginning.

Thanks Alfissimo,

I have a factory filter and can get different oil to put in but to be clear, this was the first change I did myself and the car probably has 100 miles on the Castrol. The oil used in the test was from the dealership.

I take care of the other cars so had been sending the Touareg to the dealership...they've done every oil change under our ownership (10 years now) and according to the invoice, they put 5w/40 in it at the last change.

I was also very careful to take the sample from the middle of the drain. Like you suggested, I let it run for ~10 seconds before I stuck the bottle under there.

There's an Advance Auto parts by me that sells Pentosin so will grab some and do another change if you think the 0w/40 is too thin. The Castrol does specify A3/B4 and it meets the VW spec on the bottle (502 00/505 00).

Nooby, I agree on the length of the journey but not much I can do about that aside from trading cars with my wife. It's been taking this route for the last two-ish years but saw more use in prior years.

Any common causes for coolant to be mixing with oil? Guess I'll run a scan too to see if anything pops up leading to a fuel related issue since they mention that too.

- Dave

2007 Touareg V8
2003 Audi S6
2001 911 turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode