Club Touareg Forum banner

Air suspension leak HEEELP!!

30K views 57 replies 17 participants last post by  TRespect 
#1 ·
I have a air-leak on my Treg.

It´s where the air-hose is connected to the "air spring damper". Between the "residual pressure retaining valve" and the damper. (front suspension).

Don´t wanna change the whole "air spring damper" because of a little leak. Same leak on both sides!
Someone must know how the parts are putted together!
VW-Sweden doesn´t know.

Is the connection between the "residual pressure retaining valve" and the damper a screwthread or is the connection squeezed together?????

Help!!!!
A damper change on both sides will cost me about 4200 $.
I hope I can fix it myself......just wanna be sure of how it´s putted together before I start destroying something!

Drawings? explanation? Something which can help me out?

VW Touareg 2003-03 V6

Best regards
/Jimmie

See less See more
#4 ·
Jimmie said:
I have a air-leak on my Treg.

It´s where the air-hose is connected to the "air spring damper". Between the "residual pressure retaining valve" and the damper. (front suspension).
If it's between the "air spring damper" and the "residual pressure retaining valve" then according to the pic on page 20 of the attached doc, you might be out of luck, i.e. the "air spring damper" has a leak.

btw, I can't remember where I downloaded the doc from ...moderators please delete if infringe copyright ...

#8 ·
Jimmie said:
Please, some more ideas.
Don´t have any account on that page.

/Jimmie
That is your best option. It is basically what the mechanics look at. You need to spend $20 to get 3 days of access. You can print or download the info. So pull the credit card out of your wallet and spend a little money.

#9 ·
Just back home after a visit at my lokal Vw-dealer.

Have made a really good friend there and he allowed me to take a look in their repair-manual-program called "ELSA"

AND GUESS!!!!! I found a page called " Change the residual pressure retaining valve"

You can replace it if the sealing leaks, or thevalve have been messed up.

Now the new problem..... The "residual pressure retaining valve" is not a sparepart in Sweden.......strange.....but you have a manual in swedish how to change it!!!!!

Does anyone know how a " residual pressure retaining valve"
look like when it´s not fitted...

(Yes, the grammar isn´t the best......I´m from Sweden U know :p)

/Jimmie

#11 ·
Yes it had a picture but only when the valve is fitted to the damper.

About spareparts. We have checked out the register for spareparts to the Airsuspension called "SEKA" or something. VW:s register. We have looked for spareparts to Audi Q7, VW Phaethon, Touareg, Allroad but the valve isn´t there!!!!!!!! STRANGE HUH!!!!!

Does anyone know the sparepartnumber of the "residual pressure retaining valve" I can´t find it!!!!! So we can enter the number in the computer and then find it like a sparepart.

Ideas?
/Jimmie

#13 ·
Spockat!
You are i the wrong end of the air suspension.
The leak is not down where the compressor or the valveunit is.
It´s up where the airhose is conected to the Airspringdamper.

In the other end of the hose.

The partnumbers you send me was all located where the compressorunit is. (That one is new, compressor....recall from VW)

The tool you should use to remove the "valve" is called T10158/1

The valve is shown in picture N40-10173 in the program ELSA. In that pic it´s installed into the damper.

Thanks for your engagement so far....it´s worth gold to have someone to discuss with!

/Jimmie

#15 ·
If the part is installed on the damper and it doesn't show up in ETKA, then it isn't a dealer replacement part. There are only a few choices; replace the entire damper or find a wrecked Touareg and buy the parts off the car, or maybe you can check the Porsche Cayenne (or Audi A8, VW Phaeton) parts catalog to see if they have the part as a replacement part.

#16 ·
That´s the strange thing! You have a work-description in ELSA with pictures.
In ELSA they also tell you when you are allowed to change the valve, for exampel when the connection leaks!

This is a mystery for me.... They show you how to change the part in ELSA and tell you 3 possible failure of the valve, but the part is impossible to find in ETKA!!

Somebody must know who builds the damper or where to find parts to it!

"why change the engine if one sparkplug is broken?" Sure the VW dealer wants to earn a lot of money but still.............Grrrrrrrrr :chainsaw:

This is insane so far.........

But I hope it will come up to an solution....

/Jimmie

#17 ·
#19 ·
7L0616758 connecting part / M10X1 = The connection between tha air-pipe and the "residual pressure retaining valve"!

7L0616829 push-on connector = is a simple "splice" for a broken air-pipe.

The air-pipe only comes with"7L0616758 connecting part x2"

More suggestions?

#20 ·
What if you change the 7L0616758 connectors? Won't this solve your problem? Maybe the rprv is an integral part of the damper like the cdc valve and you can just replace the connectors to fix the leak.

#21 ·
The leak is not between "7L0616758 connecting part" and the rprv.

It´s between the rprv and the damper. And the question is: How is the rprv fitted to the damper. Yes, you can replace it but there is no sparepart so far, what I know. But my problem is solved when I can find out how the Rprv is fitted to the damper. Then I can start fixing it! I don´t dare to touch it before I know how the parts are putted together. One misstake will cost me about 2000$ for a new damper.......

/Jimmie

#23 ·
I´ve looked on the valve and the damper.
You can´t see any threads going into the damper.
The big question is.... Is the threads inside the valve or on the outgoing tap/peg. The tap/peg is fitted into the damper......but how....hopefully threaded.....then the problem is easy to fix as spockat suggested.

If the tap/peg is pressured into the damper we have a great problem.
And if I start twisting it....... A Major problem!!!!!!

Now it´s only a little leak.......empty in 48 hours.

Just wanna be sure before I start messing around.

The easiest way to find out would be to have a look on a RPRV on a picture or a map.

#24 ·
NOW!!!!!

After a few new hours in ETKA I finally found the little bastard!!!!

7L0616813:pressure valve
7L0616817: the thing called o-ring in swedish which I think is the little problem.

All these numbers go to an 2006 year model Touareg, but when crosschecking the numbers........it´s the same thing on 2003-2006...

Now the question: Anyone got a picture of an 7L0616813 ?
The one in ETKA looks like my 4 year old son made it :p

/Jimmie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.