Air Pressure in New Tires - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Technical Forums > General Maintenance & Repair

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 09-03-2013   #1

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Air Pressure in New Tires

I am putting on new Michelins this week and getting rid of the Continentals. The car monitor states to put 33 lbs in the front tires and 38 in the rear. Do these air pressures seem normal or should I just keep all the pressures the same? Just curious what everyone does on there TDI's. Thanks

Old 09-03-2013   #2
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: Other
The Touareg sticker shows manufacturer-recommended tire air pressure 33/38. The Manual, however, recommends 3 PSI above sticker numbers and many people follow this direction instead – i.e. 36/41. The 33/38 inflation will give your vehicle insignificantly lesser MPG than 36/41 would, while 36/41 will provide slightly lesser road grip than 33/38. Choose tire pressure adequate to whatever you deem to be a smaller sacrifice.

Old 09-03-2013   #3
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2004 V8
Send a message via AIM to rinaic Send a message via Skype™ to rinaic
CC can you direct me to this info in the manual?
rinaic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2013   #4
Touareg Mechanic

I have no Manual handy, otherwise I would. There was someone else, a few months back as I recall, posting a snap shot of the Manual’s page where it was recommended doing 3PSI above sticker. If no one will pitch in soon enough I do so later when I’d have the Manual to look at the page number. I wonder where is Niner…
Old 09-03-2013   #5
Touareg Guru

Run the tires in for a couple of hundred miles - no sharp braking or cornering.

Then try the car at the VW sticker pressures for a couple of hundred miles and then with the extra 3psi [though I thought it was +5psi!] and see whether or not you like the difference [ if any] in the ride and handling and whether it makes any difference to your fuel consumption.

Let us know how you get on.
Old 09-03-2013   #6
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2012 Hybrid
Second Vehicle: 2012 V6 FSI
Couldn't find anything with +3psi. By the way for hybrid it states 35/39
Old 09-03-2013   #7
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConservativeConsumer View Post
The Touareg sticker shows manufacturer-recommended tire air pressure 33/38. The Manual, however, recommends 3 PSI above sticker numbers and many people follow this direction instead – i.e. 36/41. The 33/38 inflation will give your vehicle insignificantly lesser MPG than 36/41 would, while 36/41 will provide slightly lesser road grip than 33/38. Choose tire pressure adequate to whatever you deem to be a smaller sacrifice.
I would second this ! As reported it is definitely in the 2012 VW T TDI manual ! I am running 36/41 on the 18 in tires (SPORT trim) and am getting app 15,000 miles per 1/32nd in wear ! I got GY LS2's oem. @ 34,000 miles the wear is dead even across the tread and dealer has rotated the tires @ 12,000 miles and 24,000 miles. I am due another rotation and 3rd interval @ 35,000 miles.

So given that consumption rate and starting @ 10/32nd in new and taking the tire down @ 3/32 in (2/32nd in is legally bald), math would project less than 105,000 miles.
Old 09-03-2013   #8

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2012 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDub7 View Post
I would second this ! As reported it is definitely in the 2012 VW T TDI manual ! I am running 36/41 on the 18 in tires (SPORT trim) and am getting app 15,000 miles per 1/32nd in wear ! I got GY LS2's oem. @ 34,000 miles the wear is dead even across the tread and dealer has rotated the tires @ 12,000 miles and 24,000 miles. I am due another rotation and 3rd interval @ 35,000 miles.

So given that consumption rate and starting @ 10/32nd in new and taking the tire down @ 3/32 in (2/32nd in is legally bald), math would project less than 105,000 miles.
/\ This... I'm going through 1/32 per 11,000 currently. Perhaps 70 -80 k miles at my current rate, I'll need new tires, if things continue at this rate.
Old 09-03-2013   #9
Supporting Member

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
The 2013 US manual says nothing about running higher than the door jamb label. There's a chart in the manual, accompanied by a warning that if there's a discrepancy between that chart and the door jamb label, the label should be followed. My door label says 33F/39R (cold of course). That's what I've been running for 8200 miles and the 20" Pirellis are wearing very evenly on all corners (rotated at 5400 miles).
Old 09-03-2013   #10
Touareg Mechanic

OK, I am not sure this is the only page with this recommendation - I thought I've seeing it elsewhere in the Manual in bold font, but as always, short of RTFM from scratch again I could not find another spot. One reference at least can be found in the 2012 Manual on page 322 under Fuel-efficient driving, Adjust the tire pressure paragraph. It says: "The proper tire pressure helps reduce rolling resistance as well as fuel consumption. In addition, slightly higher tire pressure (+3psi/+20kPa) can help save fuel." I've elected to use 36/41 PSI on behalf of better MPG (theoretically) for summer time and 36/41 PSI for better grip in winter time. I should also mention that I bought nitrogen service with free two years tire pressure adjustment at conveniently located dealer for $20. This saves time and keeps hands clean and warm when it is cold.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.