3.0 TDI Oil Change - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Technical Forums > General Maintenance & Repair

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 06-17-2010   #1

3.0 TDI Oil Change

Does anyone have experience removing the old oil by vacuum evacuation through the dip stick tube? I do this on my MB engines (it's the MB factory standard service method) and it removes more oil than using the drain plug on the oil pan.

Will it work on the 3.0 TDI motor?

Old 06-17-2010   #2

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I Use a Pela Pro 14 Extractor for my V10tdi, and works very well. I'm not familiar with where the oil filter is in your 3.0TDI, if it's on top, then your able to do it! As there won't be a need to crawl under there to change the filter.

Old 06-17-2010   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by v10treg View Post
I Use a Pela Pro 14 Extractor for my V10tdi, and works very well. I'm not familiar with where the oil filter is in your 3.0TDI, if it's on top, then your able to do it! As there won't be a need to crawl under there to change the filter.
Thanks for the response. Oil filter is right up on top in the center of the engine. It's buried a bit, but accessible.

I use a MityVac 7300, which is pneumatic. Works like a charm.

The first time, I'll probably drop the skid plate and the drain plug after I get all I can with the MityVac. That way I can assure myself that I got it all.

Porsche Cayenne dry sump would not vac it all out. Had to drop the skid plates anyway to access the filter. I'm glad that's done with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OilFilter.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	9313  
Old 06-17-2010   #4
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2009 V6 TDI
Just curious, is the reason you are doing your own change because you do not trust the dealer to touch it (or do it right), or you just like working on the Treg , or you are doing them at less than the 10K interval specified and covered by the dealer/book, or ? I like the vacuum concept. Never tried one though.
2009 Touareg V6 TDI (Just Pissing in the Wind) - WeatherTech Liners, MudFlaps, Clear-Bra and Headlight covers, Terra 19" (275/45/19 Conti DWS Extreme Contacts) summer wheels, Canyon 17" (245/65/17 Nokian Hakkapelitta 1 SUV unstudded) winter wheels, VAG'd TPMS MFD optional & DRLs off.
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
2004 Jetta TDI - Panzer plate
2000 Dodge Ram Cummins - Stage 2 Dr Performance, MagHytech tranny pan & diff, DSS 3rd Gen TrackBar & Stablizer kits, Rancho dampener
strokethis2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2010   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokethis2 View Post
Just curious, is the reason you are doing your own change because you do not trust the dealer to touch it (or do it right), or you just like working on the Treg , or you are doing them at less than the 10K interval specified and covered by the dealer/book, or ? I like the vacuum concept. Never tried one though.
The vacuum evacuation works very well. You can pretty much do the job in your Sunday clothes, and not get dirty.

Reasons for doing it myself pretty much encompass all of your reasons.

1.) I don't generally trust dealer techs. a.) They work on the Flat Rate Manual; and, as a result, have a tendency to rush through jobs faster than they should. b.) If they were any good, they'd have their own shop.
2.) I like working on all of my vehicles. In this case it's a Q7 3.0 TDI. (Reason for asking here is that most Audi owners don't do their own maintenance, and the engines in this case are the same.)
3.) This first oil/filter change was at 1,781 miles. I would have preferred it to be closer to 1,000 miles; but it just couldn't be scheduled then. Next will be at 5k and every 5k thereafter. Over kill? Perhaps, but it makes me and my engines happy.
Old 06-17-2010   #6
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2009 V6 TDI
That is what counts. Thanks for the info on the oil vacuum (lot of that going on lately). I will definitely check it out. I suppose it should work nicely on my Jetta also.
2009 Touareg V6 TDI (Just Pissing in the Wind) - WeatherTech Liners, MudFlaps, Clear-Bra and Headlight covers, Terra 19" (275/45/19 Conti DWS Extreme Contacts) summer wheels, Canyon 17" (245/65/17 Nokian Hakkapelitta 1 SUV unstudded) winter wheels, VAG'd TPMS MFD optional & DRLs off.
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
2004 Jetta TDI - Panzer plate
2000 Dodge Ram Cummins - Stage 2 Dr Performance, MagHytech tranny pan & diff, DSS 3rd Gen TrackBar & Stablizer kits, Rancho dampener
strokethis2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2010   #7

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH VanAtlanta View Post
The vacuum evacuation works very well. You can pretty much do the job in your Sunday clothes, and not get dirty.

Reasons for doing it myself pretty much encompass all of your reasons.

1.) I don't generally trust dealer techs. a.) They work on the Flat Rate Manual; and, as a result, have a tendency to rush through jobs faster than they should. b.) If they were any good, they'd have their own shop.
2.) I like working on all of my vehicles. In this case it's a Q7 3.0 TDI. (Reason for asking here is that most Audi owners don't do their own maintenance, and the engines in this case are the same.)
3.) This first oil/filter change was at 1,781 miles. I would have preferred it to be closer to 1,000 miles; but it just couldn't be scheduled then. Next will be at 5k and every 5k thereafter. Over kill? Perhaps, but it makes me and my engines happy.
Thumbs up for the Q7. I looked at them, but they were a bit pricey as compared to the Touareg. I do love the refined look of the Audis. You have a buyer when you are ready to sell.

2004 Jetta TDI - Galactic Blue - RocketChip, Eurojet FMIC, Pioneer Navigation, Koni FSDs, Eibach ProKit, IDParts Downpipe, IDParts 17/22 Turbo - Daily Driver
medic92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2010   #8
Touareg Addict

I used a hand pump to draw some oil out of mine at 10k mi after the dealer overfilled it. But this only involved about 3/4 l. So I can't speak to how low you can go this way.

Definitely let us know how it works out. (Pics would be good too.) Good luck!
2010 VW Touareg V6TDI | AK Gray/Anthracite | Air Suspension | Lux Package | Factory Hitch | 17" Makalus (5) | CBI Fold Down Tire Carrier | Antec Underride Protection Plate & Extension | 265/65R17 General Grabber AT2s (5)
schubie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2010   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by schubie View Post
I used a hand pump to draw some oil out of mine at 10k mi after the dealer overfilled it. But this only involved about 3/4 l. So I can't speak to how low you can go this way.

Definitely let us know how it works out. (Pics would be good too.) Good luck!
It worked great. Only minor problem is all the wires over and around the filter housing. Sorry, no pics; but it's really very straight forward.

Run the engine until hot. Remove the dipstick and insert the extractor tube until it bottoms in the oil pan.. Remove the engine shroud. Disconnect the wires around the filter. Unscrew the filter cover. Pull up on the filter element to allow the oil in the filter housing to drain down into the engine. Carefully remove the filter element with a rag around it to prevent slopping oil on the engine. Pump out the oil using the extractor. (Caution - very hot!)

Insert a new filter element with the alignment peg pointing down and rotate the element while gently pushing down to seat the alignment peg in its hole. Replace the o-ring on the filter cover and screw the filter cover back in place. Torque to 35 Nm. Replace disconnected wire plugs. Add 8.5 qts VW 507 00 oil. Replace the filler cap and the engine cover. Start the engine and let it run for a few seconds. Stop the engine and check the oil level. Adjust if necessary. You're done.
Old 06-20-2010   #10
Touareg Addict

Thumbs up

Great write-up, thanks!

Quick question--how does the shroud come loose? Checking fluids today, I didn't see any obvious toggles.

2010 VW Touareg V6TDI | AK Gray/Anthracite | Air Suspension | Lux Package | Factory Hitch | 17" Makalus (5) | CBI Fold Down Tire Carrier | Antec Underride Protection Plate & Extension | 265/65R17 General Grabber AT2s (5)
schubie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.