2012 Touareg 3.6L intermittent overheat - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 15 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Touareg: 2012 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Other
2012 Touareg 3.6L intermittent overheat

I have done my best to search clubtouareg, vwvortex, and google and have come up short on finding much on the newer models with regard to overheating. Created an account to post this question. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Model:
2012 Touareg Lux V6 3.6L 80k miles

Issue Description:

The Treg will sometimes overheat about 10 mins after cold start. Temp gauge goes into the red (260F +) with a warning on the dash to check coolant level. When this happens, pull to the side of the road and it cools off quickly (like 2-3 mins). After it cools back to the nominal 200F on the dash, it doesn't overheat for the rest of the trip.

I have VCDS and pulled one code: P2181 performance malfunction in cooling system and the freeze frame data shows a coolant temp of 72C (normal). I just replaced the thermostat three days ago. The old one was broken and I thought I had the problem licked. It drove fine for 2 days but them the issue returned on the next two days. When it overheats, I turn the inside heater on HI and noticed that for a brief moment that cool air came out but then was hot again (happened twice). This leads me to believe I have air in the system. The coolant level is fine. I have been watching it to see if it falls much (meaning air was escaping) but I haven't seen an appreciable difference.

Service History:
- 40k miles, carfax indicates that the thermostat and water pump was replaced
- 43k miles, carfax indicates that the termostat and water pump was replaced again as well as the thermostat housing and coolant temperature sensor.
- 80k miles I replaced thermostat and drained coolant, replaced with G13 coolant

Possible issues:
- Thermostat: Symptoms still sound like a sticking thermostat. Could have gotten a bad thermostat.
- Air in the system: The fact that cool air came out a little bit with interior heater on really sounds like air in the system but the system should be self bleed. Maybe I have a plugged return line or something. I plan to remove the little line on the top of the expansion tank to ensure a stream of coolant is coming through when the system is at temperature
- Sensor: Seems like the older touaregs have 2 sensors. I can only find 1 sensor on the parts diagrams but VCDS does offer 2 readings (can someone confirm if mine has 2 sensors? I see the one at the rear driver's side of the engine) . Maybe the sensor is bad but the system isn't even overheating. The dash does not appear to act like a bad sensor... the needle moves smoothly and doesn't jump around.
- Electric Fan: Nope, I have confirmed the fan is off when cold and on when hot.
- Head gasket: Please no... I am close to spending $40 to get the exhaust gas leak tester thing just to cross this off.

Thoughts?? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V8
My V8 (I know, different motor) needed a little time until the air got purged after a complete drain and refill of the cooling system. It took 1 or 2 drive cycles, IIRC, to "self purge".

Now, most newer cars require an air purge of the cooling system any time it's opened up.
:- /

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to FSJ Guy For This Useful Post:
syxxty (6 Days Ago)
post #3 of 15 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. We have driven it 4 days totaling 7 drive cycles. The first 4 were fine and the last three had an overheat. I think you are right that it is an air bubble. I just ordered the vacuum fill kit from ECS tuning. Hoping I don't have to drain the system first.. there is no good way of draining and catching the coolant. Opening the lower radiator hose only empties the radiator unless the system is hot enough for the thermostat to be open. Cheers.

post #4 of 15 Old 1 Week Ago

i have the same problem with my 2012 3.0tdi, no solution yet. Did you find a solution.
Link for my problem: 2012 VW Touareg 3.0TDI engine overheating, no hot air, irregular coolant loss problem
post #5 of 15 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: 2007 V6
Garage
Interesting. The history seems to indicate this may be an old problem that hasn't been solved, but that isn't original to the vehicle (think engine casting defect) and stemmed from some unknown event. Was the thermostat OEM or some aftermarket job (only buy OEM).

Was the secondary pump (the electric one) one of the items that didn't make it to the T3? Might check this (if you have it).

Seems clearance related...like something is making the thermostat stick part of the time. Have you done a proper pressure coolant flush? Not just a drain and fill. Someone could have put some leak fix crap in your system at some point and it could have gummed stuff up??

Whatever it is is sure odd.

Another strange solution...(doesn't fit your issues...just is interesting) is someone had a radiator where the vanes were packed full of mud from offroading. A careful wash fixed his (again not your issue).
The Following User Says Thank You to Spiegelglatt For This Useful Post:
syxxty (6 Days Ago)
post #6 of 15 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: 2007 V6
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiegelglatt View Post

Was the secondary pump (the electric one) one of the items that didn't make it to the T3? Might check this (if you have it).

This from page 56:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170215_001433.png
Views:	22
Size:	836.5 KB
ID:	170273  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3-6-FSI-SSP.pdf (3.31 MB, 12 views)
post #7 of 15 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter

Thanks all for the replies. We have had about 14 successful drive cycles now without any overheat. Meanwhile, the cooling system vacuum tool came... I did not pull a vacuum on the system nor did I re-drain the system and do a proper flush. I will if it overheats again. Here are some shots at the questions I missed.

- The old thermostat was definitely broken and came out in three pieces. The plastic was white.. I didn't check to see if it was OE. The replacement thermostat I bought was from RockAuto and was not OE. It was easy enough to replace if it does fail (as long as I don't warp a head if it does go).
- The overheat after the thermostat replacement was most likely a bubble in the system. I did not have the vacuum tool when I refilled the system so it was not filled correctly. I think the bubble was somewhere in the heater core since cool air came out of the system briefly when the system was at temperature (yes I turned the heat and fan on to ensure heater core valve was open before filling the system). The system must have successfully self bled the air bubble out over three days.
- I don't have more details on the past issues so I can't tell if there is a systemic issue or not. I am definitely worried about this but I think time will tell. There was 40k miles between the previous issues and now. I hope I just got a flawed thermostat.
- The old coolant was very clean and clear. I don't think there was any leak stop stuff added but I can't tell for sure.
- I didn't see how the aux coolant pump could cause this issue. It is used to ensure a hot engine does not overheat after the engine is turned off since no coolant or air is moving. Unless the aux afterrun pump is required to assist the system to bleed... I never heard that pump kick on after I shut off the engine.
- Radiator fins are fine. It cools with no issues after the initial overheat. I ran it hard to try and intentionally overheat it and could not so I ruled out radiator and water pump.

My big lesson learned is that I should really do the correct coolant fill procedure if the cooling system is opened. Thanks all.

Siiboga.. I'll post some thoughts on your thread.
post #8 of 15 Old 6 Days Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
2012 touareg has a 10 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, unless you like pulling your hair out trying to diagnose and flushing money away bring it to a dealership.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #9 of 15 Old 5 Days Ago

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Had this issue on my '12 TDI Exec. Off we went on vacation only to get 50 miles away and my temp gauge starts going HOT.
1st the dealership thought it was a Thermostat sensor... they replaced. Week later starts again......this time its coolant pump.
They replaced (thank you Wrap warranty..lol)

Been good to go since!!!

'12 TDI Executive
Previous: '06 V8, '10 V6, '12 TDI Lux
post #10 of 15 Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter

The stupid thing overheated again this morning with cold air coming from the vents when it was too hot. Guess I'll get to use that coolant system refill tool after all...

2012 Touareg Lux 3.6L
2005 Audi A6 3.2L

Tags
overheat , thermostat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode