2012 TDI Help with Oil Change... - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Technical Forums > General Maintenance & Repair

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 03-27-2012   #1

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
2012 TDI Help with Oil Change...

Hello...I apologize to post something this simple but I was wondering if anyone would mind chiming in on my plans to change the oil in my 2012 Touareg TDI. I have 5,300 miles (very happy, fun trouble free miles I might add) and want to change the oil based on what I've read in other posts. Call it an abundance of caution, but I figure it can't hurt, unless I screw it up that is. I went to the VW dealership today and bought the filter and o-ring as well as nine quarts of the approved Castrol SLX oil. There were comments in another post about removing the engine cover and using a 32mm socket to remove the oil cap, but it looks like the 2011 and 2012's must be designed differently. Attached is a picture from under the hood showing what I believe to be the oil filler cap which simply unscrews. I didn't fool with it because the engine was hot, but am I correct in that I simply unscrew the cap, remove the filter assembly and replace the o-ring and filter? Actually, here are the steps that I think I need to take and maybe people can correct any mistakes:

1) Unscrew the drain plug underneath the engine (after removing the cover)
2) Remove the drain cap at the top and remove the piece where the o-ring goes and throw away old filter and o-ring.
3) After oil drains from engine (not sure how long this takes), replace the drain plug.
4) Refill engine with oil through top
5) Replace filter and assembly
6) Screw the cap down.

Am I missing anything? The other question I had was when to do this. I seem to remember reading that maybe 45 minutes after shutting down the engine is about the right time to do this - is that correct? And of course the $1,000,000.00 question - exactly how many quarts of oil go back in? The dealership said 8 and 1/2 quarts...Sound right? I really appreciate any feedback as the last thing I want to do is screw up a brand new engine. Thanks, Tyson
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VW.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	462.4 KB
ID:	16482  

Old 03-27-2012   #2
The Moderator!

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
If you were reading about how to change the oil on an 09-10 V6 TDI then they would apply to you since the motor is the exact same one as was in them. You have to remove the oil filler cap to remove the engine cover. It just pulls off and no tools required. Once you remove the cover you will see everything you need to see that was in the discription.

04 Offroad Grey V6, gone, but will never be forgotten.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012   #3
Touareg Mechanic

I would wait till the (minimum) oem recommendation @ app 10,000 miles !!! There are a lot of reasons for this, if you want to go into it in detail. Even 10,000 miles is way over kill for VW 507 5w30 oil and filter designed (European) to go 30,000 miles or 50,000 KMS.
Old 03-27-2012   #4

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
See that nice lookin things that has the VW logo on it and says "TDI?" that isn't your engine, its just a fancy cover. pull straight up on it, you'll find where the 32mm wrench needs to go (its right around the middle).

the cap is where you pour the oil into, that isn't where your oil filter is.

Germans don't know what quarts are...the engine takes 9L of oil.
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6
nickm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012   #5
Touareg Mechanic

Where do you put the hose for the topside evacuation method, as the V6 TDI does not seem to have an oil dipstick anymore (4 cylinder TDI's have the dipstick and opening almost literally front and center) ?

Right you are in that the difference between liters (33.8 oz) and qts (32 oz) is 1.8 oz (128 oz = gal) So 9 L is 2.38 gals (actually 2.37656) or 9.51 qts. (actually 9.50625)

If I am not mistaken, Mobil One ESP 5w30, VW 507.00 AND MB 229.51 5w40 are sold by the qt in the USA market.
Old 03-28-2012   #6
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is jealous
There is still a dipstick tube that is where the topside oil evac would be done. It has an orange cap on it. I have read however that oil extraction isn't recommended on this engine in the SSP. Do so at your own risk.
SamTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012   #7
Touareg Mechanic

Is there a logic why? I have been doing the topside evacuation method on VW Jetta TDI 2003 for 175,000 miles plus with ZERO ill effect/s, albeit 4 cylinder. (app 9 times)
Old 03-28-2012   #8

Well, made my first run at it today, and everything was going swimmingly until I couldn't get the drain plug unscrewed! I remember reading somewhere in another forum what type of allen wrench it takes. I believe it was 3/16" that fit, but it wasn't a snug enough fit and when I really tried to turn it I almost stripped it. So I gave up pretty quickly. My guess is that the wrench needs to be some metric system measurement? Does anyone know for sure, and if so, where does one find these tools (Home Depot, Lowe's, or some place more specialized)? Thanks again for all the feedback. Tyson
Old 03-28-2012   #9
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: VW 2
This looks like a disaster waiting to happen. As has already been suggested, the oil is designed to be run for 10k miles and formulated with additives to allow proper break in of the engine. Removing it prematurely may cause issues and could possibly have repercussions if you haven't followed the dealer's intervals regarding oil changes as specified, ultimately voiding your warranty.

Since when has any European made vehicle utilized anything other than metric sized fasteners? Go buy some proper tools before you damage anything else.
Old 03-28-2012   #10
Touareg Addict

Second Vehicle: is jealous
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDub7 View Post
Is there a logic why? I have been doing the topside evacuation method on VW Jetta TDI 2003 for 175,000 miles plus with ZERO ill effect/s, albeit 4 cylinder. (app 9 times)

I believe it has to do with the fact that the3.0 tdi in the Touareg has a dual staged/zoned oil pan to prevent foaming when offroading. These two layers have been believed to prevent complete extraction.

SamTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.