2011 Knock Sensor CEL - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Technical Forums > General Maintenance & Repair

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 12-21-2010   #1

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
2011 Knock Sensor CEL

So I would like to thank everyone for all their input throughout these discussions.

To the issue, we bought a new 2011 Sport version about one month ago. This past weekend the CEL light came on (our hope was the fuel cap loose). But we took it in and VW service is telling us that we have a knock sensor failure (and/or this is their best guess thru there discussions). Kind of disappointing with only ~1600 miles. Hopefully will find out more tomorrow. Just a heads up to people.

Take Care

Old 12-21-2010   #2

Why are they guessing? What was the fault code?

Old 12-22-2010   #3

Dont know the fault code number, thru all the running around and work havent had a lot of time to talk with them (and I dont have a scangauge for the vehicle yet). But we are still waiting for the overnight part to come in (day two). The time we have talked with the service, we got the standard; this is our best guess based on discussions with VW support and the error code.

So one question would be if it is the knock sensor and a sold yellow CEL (not blinking), is the vehicle still ok/safe to drive? (the dealer, not the service, said as long as it is solid yellow it should be ok) My fear is with the weather and the holidays upon us, the treg will sit there for over a week, and we were hoping to actually use to get to the mountains.

Anyways thanks for any help or comments, not trying to rant, just getting tired of setting and waiting.
Old 12-22-2010   #4

If the CEL is solid it is safe to drive but depending on the fault present it might affect drivability .
Old 12-22-2010   #5
My God,it's full of stars

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: 2008 V6
As Nickm will attest, I've had a solid CEL on for weeks since I threw the P2004/5 code. Waiting for the arctic air filters and not bothering to clear the code with the VAG-COM everyday - car drives fine by 40 below. I can just hear VWDude gonna chime is with "but how do you know there isn't another code being thrown?" A the cat paradox again...

siberian

siberian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2010   #6
Too Cool to Leave School

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by siberian View Post
I can just hear VWDude gonna chime is with "but how do you know there isn't another code being thrown?"
Well... how do you? :P :P
Old 12-23-2010   #7
My God,it's full of stars

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: 2008 V6
You have to believe in the cat... and that it's alive and well... but you won't know until you peek and when you do then it could very well be...and be because you indeed peeked...

siberian

siberian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2011   #8

Sorry for the delay in replying, but we did get the NOx sensor replaced just before we had plan to head out for a ski trip over the holidays. Our local VW service replaced it (which was their first time seeing a 2011 TDI, let alone servicing one, which had us worried). They drove it for a little and not errors, so we took it. Everything appears good after another ~750 miles.

A couple other snow driving observations. We did a couple night time skiing events, it was cold (<20F) and snowing and blowing hard, which was ok. It seems with the "large" rear view mirror mount, which has the rain sensor and wiper interaction, that the defrost has a had time keeping this point warm enough to keep from frosting on the outside. Thus when the wiper comes across, it smears the frost across the drivers window, which wasnt always clearing. (the only option was to try to keep it really hot in the vehicle to keep it working nearly right, not fun). Not a big thing since these conditions wont be very often. Also noticed that the sides for the front window have grooves (likely to drain water up or down and not to the side), which would build up ice/slush. I have run into this build up on other vehicles, but my worry was scraping the ice off later (or have my son scrape) and not popping that groove/molding. Again not a big thing since it doesnt happen very often.

One last small thing, with the door handles flush, ice would build up on the top and basically freeze them closed, just a worry with younger kids yanking at the handles to get them open.

Otherwise the vehicle handled well, had snow tires put on while waiting for the NOx sensor.

One question, I was "playing" a little in the snow with the vehicle, in previous vehicles we had various "bells and whistles" would go off when its traction control kicked in. Is there anything obvious when the TDIs ESP starts "doing" something. At some point it was obvious and others I was not so sure if anything was happening. Maybe I a just use to the vehicle "telling" me when I was pushing it.

Anyways, thanks for everyone interest.

Take Care
Old 01-02-2011   #9

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
I'm glad they didn't find a broken knock sensor..by definition diesels detonate, so I don't know of any diesels with a knock sensor ignition!
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6
nickm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011   #10

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Just to add - I have a 2010 V6 TDi with 5K on the ODO and just had this same code thrown and CEL light up. I took it to the dealer and they said it was the knock sensor but didn't know why it went off and didn't seem to understand the issue as at first they told me the code was because the different BCU/ECU and other control units were not communicating to each other. They pulled data and were going to check with VW Tech on further diagnosing. They said it was fine to drive so I took it as it was right before Xmas and needed to tow the next day. On the way home, I stopped to fill up and the CEL light went off when I started up again. Its stayed off since.

I plan to take it back in when I can leave it so they can check things out again.

AndrewT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.