2010 Touareg: I need a cheap spare key! - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 11 Old 01-30-2017 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2010 V6
Second Vehicle: Other
2010 Touareg: I need a cheap spare key!

I just bought a 2010 VR6 Touareg. It came with one key.

I would like a spare in case of an emergency, so I was thinking of a cheap valet key. What is my best option and how much do they cost?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-30-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2013 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: VW Bus
Vdubya, sadly there is no easy news. The valet key on your 2010 will only allow you access inside the vehicle and not operate the ignition. A regular key is $150.00 +
$95.00 (labor/programming). FYI, the valet key is $60.00.

"Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." ~Cree Prophecy
post #3 of 11 Old 01-30-2017
Touareg Guru

As above, go to your VW dealer and shell out the readies.

Word of advice- do this ASAP otherwise Sod's Law will kick in and you'll find out that being locked out and having no key is even more expensive! !

post #4 of 11 Old 02-13-2017

im not sure if that is entirely true. Do you have a VAG-com? ive not done it on my Touareg yet but i have done other immo cars. I bought a key blank from ebay (10$) i got it cut at my locksmith (20$) i bought a new immo48 id chip (2 bucks for 12) and used my VAG to program it. just start researching this forum NefMoto - Index i found everything i needed to match a key to my car
post #5 of 11 Old 02-13-2017
The Moderator!

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by b6commuter View Post
im not sure if that is entirely true. Do you have a VAG-com? ive not done it on my Touareg yet but i have done other immo cars. I bought a key blank from ebay (10$) i got it cut at my locksmith (20$) i bought a new immo48 id chip (2 bucks for 12) and used my VAG to program it. just start researching this forum NefMoto - Index i found everything i needed to match a key to my car
Can't do it via VCDS. No one has found a way as far as I know. The Dealer doesn't even have the SKC. They need to hook up to to the mother ship network to get it.

2010 Alaska Grey/Anthracite V6 TDI- Lux,Tech, Air and Hitch
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

04 Offroad Grey V6, gone, but will never be forgotten.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-13-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
Can't do it via VCDS. No one has found a way as far as I know. The Dealer doesn't even have the SKC. They need to hook up to to the mother ship network to get it.
X2. You can do it with VCDS on some OLDER VWs (1990s), but not on anything remotely recent. It's nice theft deterrent, but an absolute PITA if you lose a key.

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
post #7 of 11 Old 02-13-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJ Guy View Post
X2. You can do it with VCDS on some OLDER VWs (1990s), but not on anything remotely recent. It's nice theft deterrent, but an absolute PITA if you lose a key.
i did this with vcds on my b6 a4.

just check the chart for info....i hope it helps

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Immobilizer
post #8 of 11 Old 02-13-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post

As he said. Due to it being a active and not a passive RFID. You can do with some 'special' tools, that cost a bit of $. Not even worth it to MANY locksmiths.

---
That is the difference between you and me, I never go back to the carpet store.
-Rick

My VW youtube Channel:
post #9 of 11 Old 02-14-2017
Touareg Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by b6commuter View Post
i did this with vcds on my b6 a4.

just check the chart for info....i hope it helps

Immobilizer - Ross-Tech Wiki
As already mentioned you need to get the code for the key to work from VW Germany.

If you think you can do it using VCDS then you'll need to demonstrate it on a Touareg key!

It would make a lot of people happy if they could avoid the 250+ US$/GB£/EU€ dealer cost!!
post #10 of 11 Old 02-14-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobytoogy View Post
As already mentioned you need to get the code for the key to work from VW Germany.

If you think you can do it using VCDS then you'll need to demonstrate it on a Touareg key!

It would make a lot of people happy if they could avoid the 250+ US$/GB£/EU€ dealer cost!!
this is the same thing i was told about my audi and it ended up being wrong. you don't need a mothership to get the skc. ill try it tomorrow on my touareg and show the results positive or negative.
The Following User Says Thank You to b6commuter For This Useful Post:
Fourdiesel (02-14-2017)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode