04/V6 Ignition coil connector short along with other problems... - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 7 Old 04-16-2017 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2004 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
04/V6 Ignition coil connector short along with other problems...

Hey all, got a weird one. But then again, it's a Touareg, so of course it is.

Started it up today, and it ran like absolute garbage. Figured it was an ignition coil as that has been an ongoing issue, but this was worse than the normal rough running ignition coil failing or malfunctioning.

Anyhow, popped the hood and saw that the #6 ignition coil connector was completely fried - melted and shorted out. Luckily I had a spare coil and went to the parts store and got a new coil connector and wired it in. It made a slight improvement but is still running terribly.

Throwing the following codes after replacing that coil and the connecting boot:

16660 - Fuel Injector #6 (N84): Short to Ground
P0276 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded
16657 - Fuel Injector #5 (N83): Short to Ground
P0273 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded
16654 - Fuel Injector #4 (N33): Short to Ground
P0270 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded
16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded
16689 - Cylinder 5: Misfire Detected
P0305 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded
16688 - Cylinder 4: Misfire Detected
P0304 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded
16690 - Cylinder 6: Misfire Detected
P0306 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded

Historically when I get a misfire it has been a bad coil but something is going on I don't understand with the fuel injectors. But it has to somehow be related to that shorted out coil connector. (I assume!)

Car will start, is making very odd thumping/rumbling noise. Will eventually rev up and sort of smooth out, but will barely drive to move around the driveway/in and out of the garage.

Any trouble shooting ideas on this one are very welcome!

Thank you,
Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-17-2017 Thread Starter

Seeing some similar issues on some audis/vw's related to the fuel pump relay. That seems odd to me that the fuel pump relay could malfunction and only cause problems on cylinders 4-6 though, or that the car would start at all, but it's a cheap, easy part to start with.

Trying to find a diagram to see what all is related to that #6 coil wiring electrically that could have been damaged by a short. Not much luck finding a diagram that indicates that.

Additional input is very welcome!

Thanks,
Ben
post #3 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2005 V6
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufioclark View Post
Hey all, got a weird one. But then again, it's a Touareg, so of course it is.

Started it up today, and it ran like absolute garbage. Figured it was an ignition coil as that has been an ongoing issue, but this was worse than the normal rough running ignition coil failing or malfunctioning.

Anyhow, popped the hood and saw that the #6 ignition coil connector was completely fried - melted and shorted out. Luckily I had a spare coil and went to the parts store and got a new coil connector and wired it in. It made a slight improvement but is still running terribly.

Throwing the following codes after replacing that coil and the connecting boot:

16660 - Fuel Injector #6 (N84): Short to Ground
P0276 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded
16657 - Fuel Injector #5 (N83): Short to Ground
P0273 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded
16654 - Fuel Injector #4 (N33): Short to Ground
P0270 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded
16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded
16689 - Cylinder 5: Misfire Detected
P0305 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded
16688 - Cylinder 4: Misfire Detected
P0304 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded
16690 - Cylinder 6: Misfire Detected
P0306 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded

Historically when I get a misfire it has been a bad coil but something is going on I don't understand with the fuel injectors. But it has to somehow be related to that shorted out coil connector. (I assume!)

Car will start, is making very odd thumping/rumbling noise. Will eventually rev up and sort of smooth out, but will barely drive to move around the driveway/in and out of the garage.

Any trouble shooting ideas on this one are very welcome!

Thank you,
Ben
The coil wires are spliced in pairs into the harness except for the signal wires which are bundled together and home run to the ECM.
can't remember what other coil wiring is spliced with cylinder 6 but would replace that coil too.

post #4 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I ended up up changing all the connectors- spliced in new connectors on every coil as there was some corrosion. I was beating myself up pretty hard for about a week before I finally brought it to the shop. I have a feeling it was a non-oem coil failing which caused it. I have a suspicion there is some liquid making its way up those wires that could have cause the short in the connector. Anyhow, the problem ended up being two blown fuses that took a vw specialty shop a couple days to hunt down. The blown fuses shut down the bank 2 or multitronic 2 system and disabled fuel&ignition on cyl. 4-6.

I had the damn car ripped apart checking the injectors, fuel pressure/flow, wiring, etc and it was two fuses. I have a feeling the fuses were on those signal wires going back to the ecm, but I never got into the specifics of it or looked at the schematics.
post #5 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Yep. The fuses are the first to be checked. The same thing happened to me 3 days ago. Accidentally dislodged a couple of split spade fuses in the driver's side box, and a whole bunch of errors popped up, ranging from failed electronic steering, kessey, to ignition control, all because of a fuse or two.

- Leo

When life offers you a blessed world to explorer, why stay home and see the adventures through others' eyes.
post #6 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2005 V6
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufioclark View Post
Thanks for the reply. I ended up up changing all the connectors- spliced in new connectors on every coil as there was some corrosion. I was beating myself up pretty hard for about a week before I finally brought it to the shop. I have a feeling it was a non-oem coil failing which caused it. I have a suspicion there is some liquid making its way up those wires that could have cause the short in the connector. Anyhow, the problem ended up being two blown fuses that took a vw specialty shop a couple days to hunt down. The blown fuses shut down the bank 2 or multitronic 2 system and disabled fuel&ignition on cyl. 4-6.

I had the damn car ripped apart checking the injectors, fuel pressure/flow, wiring, etc and it was two fuses. I have a feeling the fuses were on those signal wires going back to the ecm, but I never got into the specifics of it or looked at the schematics.
Yes forgot to mention the two 20 amp fuses in the E-box S7 & S8 for the ignition coils and injectors one fuse for each bank of cylinders.

Laughable it took VW so long to figure out. I usually use a test lamp and check all of the fuses in the E-Box when I have a problem.
post #7 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6mdxvct View Post
Yes forgot to mention the two 20 amp fuses in the E-box S7 & S8 for the ignition coils and injectors one fuse for each bank of cylinders.

Laughable it took VW so long to figure out. I usually use a test lamp and check all of the fuses in the E-Box when I have a problem.
Funny you say that, I sort of decided that my new protocol would be to first check any and all fuses related to whatever system is failing, if not just all the fuses period. Definitely going to be my new protocol.

Thanks,

Ben

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode