Club Touareg Forum banner

04 touareg v6 SO MANY ISSUES (FS!!!)

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Amphicar770 
#1 ·
This ad isnt for the sole purpose of selling this car but I am pretty much giving up on it. So if anyone wants it throw me an offer. I bought it for 10k 6 months ago and getting back half of that after this nightmare would probably make me pretty happy.

I bought my touareg 6 months ago and it has done some really funny stuff. right now its sitting in the dealership with them offering to throw a few parts at it for a very substantial fee, but they recommend getting rid of it. i really do love this car when its working but the electrical problems its having are over everyones head around my area. heres a quick list if anyone can maybe throw me a few ideas

Put the key in and try to turn. It either starts up fine and all is good. Starts up with no heater running and various other electronics not working. Doesnt do anything at all and lets me remove key. Doesnt do anything at all and the key wont come out. Once it even said something like immobile mode activated on the dash.

I have seen alternator workshop come up on the gauges once or twice but its normally just the usual tire pressure sensors on the dash. I finally decided to get the car to the dealer and made an appointment. My wife drove it 50 feet down the road and it locked up and wouldnt budge. Even the volkswagen people came and jump started it. It worked fine when you jumped it but as soon as you took the terminals off it died. The battery is tested and fine.

I came back from work to try my luck it at after they gave up and left. It started up perfectly fine except my odometer rolled back 23k miles. went from 88 to 65k where it currently sits after many times turning it on and off. I plan on trading this touareg in this week but i dont even know how i am going to explain that.

I am not confident enough to spend the money on a new alternator so if anyone is confident that they can get this car to work than I really am rooting for you. If anyone is around the pittsburgh area and wants to buy this car i will sell it for cheap. everything in it is flawless except this electrical problem and it has every option out there. pm me or call/text 724 859 8159.

See less See more
#2 ·
Best bet is to find someone local with VCDS and have it scanned. Sounds like they are just guessing at it which makes no sense to me. Sounds like it could be the alternator or a bad battery or both. Loads of warnings are generally due to a low voltage issue. Touaregs are very sensitive to low voltage and pop up all sorts of errors.

#6 ·
#7 ·
All good advice. Especially check every ground possible.

There is also a splice in the main wiring harness near the drivers door. Some of your strange symptoms could be explained if the wiring harness is damaged at that point... This broke wiring harness is becoming very common on the 2004's as they age. Only good thing about it is it can be fixed for under $5.00 if you can do it.

Check out this thread. You are not alone. http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/several-engine-brake-faults-70932.html

#9 ·
I came back from work to try my luck it at after they gave up and left. It started up perfectly fine except my odometer rolled back 23k miles. went from 88 to 65k where it currently sits after many times turning it on and off. I plan on trading this touareg in this week but i dont even know how i am going to explain that.
Yea, that is a huge problem and that will be extremely hard to explain and will throw up red flags to any buyer and to DMV. Hopefully you have a long and detailed set of dated state inspection and / or dealer service records to help document the actual mileage.

While many people believe electronic odometers are tamper proof, that is far from the truth. On some vehicles it is as simple as swapping out the cluster, for others you can buy software that does same. I do not know how VW works but some vehicles do store the displayed mileage on a chip in the odometer while the actual mileage remains in the ECU. Federal offense in either case.

Good luck, glad I am not the one having to explain such a situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.